Why my glucose meter readings and 3 month HbA1C don't correlate?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Folks,

I work pretty diligently towards maintaining my T2 diabetes. To provide some context and not to repeat again, here is the other link where I described it http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/metformin-dosage-and-er-vs-non-er.105388/#post-1217816

I try my very best to maintain my blood sugar under 110 within 75 minutes of eating when my glucose peaks. I figured out the 75 minute peak time by testing at 15 minute intervals till the blood glucose peaked a few times. I usually see readings under 110 70% of the time and under 115 the rest 25% of the time and probably around 120 somewhat rarely. To make sure I keep on top of it, I spot check every so often and sometimes on weekend, I check 4-5 times, sometimes after food and sometimes randomly. The readings are usually always under 110. I use Contour Next testing strips and recently also acquired Freedom Freestyle which in my testing gave fairly similar readings as compared to the Contour Next.

Given all of that, I expected that my average HBA1C readings should definitely be under 120. A 120 glucose level corresponds to 5.8 at the very worst and 5.4 ideally (averaging around 110)

However, today, the lab results came back at 6.1 which corresponds to 128 average!! The previous test, 3 months back was 6.2, the time before, when I was diagnosed 6 months back, it was 8.3.

I guess, I am totally confounded given the A1C is supposed to reflect the last 3 months worth of average.

Does A1C come down slowly over time or did anyone manage to drop it back from a fairly high level to 5.xx within short period of time? The only logical conclusion seems to be that my blood glucose levels must be shooting up to 140+ for it to average to 128... but that sounds pretty crazy given where my levels are in the daytime.

What am I doing wrong?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are just not testing every minute in every 24 hours which is sort of what the Hba1c does.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Meters can be out by up to 20%. It could be your meter is reading low. I just did my level with 2 different meters using the same drop of blood and one read 4.9 (88) and the other was 5.5 (100). Sometimes the difference can be more and sometimes less. My A1c was also higher than I expected leading me to believe the higher reading meter is closer to correct.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Meters can be out by up to 20%. It could be your meter is reading low. I just did my level with 2 different meters using the same drop of blood and one read 4.9 (88) and the other was 5.5 (100). Sometimes the difference can be more and sometimes less. My A1c was also higher than I expected leading me to believe the higher reading meter is closer to correct.

That's so true...I have 3 meters which vary by over 2.0mmol.

Although your Libre should be accurate and is testing constantly.

My second A1C saw a big drop from 7.0 to 4.8 so I found that diet, IF and exercise in combination did the trick

Keep at it:)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's so true...I have 3 meters which vary by over 2.0mmol.

Although your Libre should be accurate and is testing constantly.

My second A1C saw a big drop from 7.0 to 4.8 so I found that diet, IF and exercise in combination did the trick

Keep at it:)

Thanks Kevin, this is helpful. So, it is possible to drop the A1C within a cycle. I guess I will keep at it :) I do have two meters and I have tested, sometimes they are a bit off, but not 20 points off from each other, usually, they are within 10 points of each other unless I made a mistake during the measurement.

Reactions: 2 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Please remember that we are all different and you can't measure your progress against another persons. @KevinPotts has had amazing success but he has also tackled things with an enthusiasm that few people can match. :eek: Your own body, the level of insulin resistance, how far your D has progressed, your diet, activity level, your life, are all unique. Your numbers are going in the right direction and it sounds like you are doing a good job. keep up the good work :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless you test every 15 minutes 24/7 you are unlikely to estimate your HbA1c accurately. If you do it is most likely coincidence. You have no idea what is happening between tests.

Similarly you may have red blood cells and haemoglobin levels that are either outside the standard range or teetering on the borderline. One size does not fit all - not everyone falls within the standard ranges. If that is the case, your HbA1c could be lower or higher than anticipated.

Some people are high glycators. Some people are low glycators. Again this will affect an HbA1c result.

Many things can affect the HbA1c.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Please remember that we are all different and you can't measure your progress against another persons. @KevinPotts has had amazing success but he has also tackled things with an enthusiasm that few people can match. :eek: Your own body, the level of insulin resistance, how far your D has progressed, your diet, activity level, your life, are all unique. Your numbers are going in the right direction and it sounds like you are doing a good job. keep up the good work :)

Well said...we are as you say all unique:)