Why my morning sugar is always high

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Hope someone in this group will answer this.

I take one Metformin a day with lots of restrictions on diet and eat only low carb diets with excercise and intermittent fasting. I finish my dinner around 4pm everyday and have my next breakfast next day at 9am, so 17 hours of intermittent fasting.

My morning results are usually in the range of 5.5 to 6. However for past couple of weeks I am experiencing 6.5 to 6.9 no matter how low carb diets I have for my dinner.

Is there anything changed in my body? Anyway how this can be reduced ? I know dawn phenomenon, but my worries is if it causes any other disease or contributing towards hb1ac test ?

Anyone experienced this and appreciate a reply.

Regards

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you recently opened a new pot / batch of test strips? Could be as simple as that.

What are your pre and post prandial readings doing? If they’re also raised you could be coming down with something.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often find mine slightly higher:
In cold weather
If I have eaten more food in the day or 2 or 3 before (even if its low carb)
If I haven't exercised enough
If I don't sleep as deeply or as long

I try not to overthink it as long as its mostly 6s or 5s or low 7s. Anywhere in range is fine, for me

• Optimistic
Reactions: Lainie71 and filly

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you recently opened a new pot / batch of test strips? Could be as simple as that.

What are your pre and post prandial readings doing? If they’re also raised you could be coming down with something.
No, l use same test strips and no issues before.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes blood sugars seem to have a mind of their own. Today my highest reading was my fasting one at 6.8, then down to 5.8 before lunch which was my first meal. Then 5.5 before evening meal and 5.3 after evening meal. Very often my fasting reading is my highest so as long as my other readings are OK then I don't worry.