Why no accurate a1c test for home use?

Glyko

The a1c test kits that are available are not so accurate. It would be great if there was home tests, especially for those who control their D2 via diet.

Wouldn't diabetics benefit from that? I see no future devices being planned?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The a1c test kits that are available are not so accurate. It would be great if there was home tests, especially for those who control their D2 via diet.

Wouldn't diabetics benefit from that? I see no future devices being planned?

Glyko, which tests have you found?

I have used several of the A1cNow+ tests, mentioned by @Ronancastled and found them to be accurate for me.

As I was buying multi-packs, for comparison I had blood drawn for my A1c at the hospital at 8am, and did a, A1cNow+ test as soon as I got home, around 9am. The difference was 0.1%. For me, that's pretty darned good, bearing in mind the home test is capillary blood and the lab test venous.

It is also worth remembering that an A1c of 5.1%, or 30, or whatever number will be rounded to the nearest unit, so the 5.1% could be 5.06% or 5.149% and the 30 could be 29.6 or 30.49.

if you are going to use differing testing regimes, it is important to either accept some variance or maybe not bother.

Reactions: EllieM

Glyko

Glyko, which tests have you found?

I have used several of the A1cNow+ tests, mentioned by @Ronancastled and found them to be accurate for me.

As I was buying multi-packs, for comparison I had blood drawn for my A1c at the hospital at 8am, and did a, A1cNow+ test as soon as I got home, around 9am. The difference was 0.1%. For me, that's pretty darned good, bearing in mind the home test is capillary blood and the lab test venous.

It is also worth remembering that an A1c of 5.1%, or 30, or whatever number will be rounded to the nearest unit, so the 5.1% could be 5.06% or 5.149% and the 30 could be 29.6 or 30.49.

if you are going to use differing testing regimes, it is important to either accept some variance or maybe not bother.
Thanks for the reply.

I bought a a1c test Now, and then had my blood drawn. It varied by a lot. Perhaps I might have done something wrong then, if you say they're accurate...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply.

I bought a a1c test Now, and then had my blood drawn. It varied by a lot. Perhaps I might have done something wrong then, if you say they're accurate...

I said it was accurate for me. A few others have found the same, but if you do a search on the group you'll likely find some for whom the accuracy didn't appear so great.

Like all things for diabetes; if it works for you celebrate it. If it doesn't work, for you, move along and try something different.

It can certainly be a frustrating condition to live with.