I get my hba1c tested every three months and I find out the same day x

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Not wishing to re-ignite this debate on HBA1C levels but I finally got into the 4's , 4.9 % to be exact and that included Xmas. Doctor went spastic mind, not much consistency there , last one was 5 % and I got a well done

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Not wishing to re-ignite this debate on HBA1C levels but I finally got into the 4's , 4.9 % to be exact and that included Xmas. Doctor went spastic mind, not much consistency there , last one was 5 % and I got a well done
The question is, in the 4% club , are you getting any adverse effects( more hypos, loss of hypo awareness) if not, mentally extend that middle digit to the doc and chill:cool:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Why does one need to average the Hba1c in the 4s? The modal range for non-diabetic people is 5.1 to 5.5...

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I get my hba1c tested every three months and I find out the same day x

I get mine in 10 minutes as they have a machine on the spot. I understand they are very expensive so most places don't have them. I also get my HbA1c tested every 3 months. This is in Switzerland.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Why does one need to average the Hba1c in the 4s? The modal range for non-diabetic people is 5.1 to 5.5...
Tim2000s, acceptable range 5.5...... But read dr r. Bernstein his recommendations are 3.4= 4.8 for normal
And jenny rhuhl advises 3.9= 5.0 in her book diet 101

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I can see where both are coming from, but I struggle to understand why Bernstein recommends a range that is common across maybe a third of the population. Jenny's numbers come from a number of studies that indicate that for the general population a figure below 5% would reduce the risk of CVD.

Given below 5% as a target, I am unable to find evidence via Web searching that significantly lower than 5% has a statistically significant improvement in complications, etc. I may be looking in the wrong place though.

Reactions: 5 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I can see where both are coming from, but I struggle to understand why Bernstein recommends a range that is common across maybe a third of the population. Jenny's numbers come from a number of studies that indicate that for the general population a figure below 5% would reduce the risk of CVD.

Given below 5% as a target, I am unable to find evidence via Web searching that significantly lower than 5% has a statistically significant improvement in complications, etc. I may be looking in the wrong place though.
Dr r. Bernstein's book diabetes solution 4th edition explains it better than i ever could.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dr r. Bernstein's book diabetes solution 4th edition explains it better than i ever could.
I'd argue that it doesn't explain it at all, and in fact that range is really less than 5% from Bernstein as well. He picks up that above 4.9%, for every 1% increase in Hba1c there is a 28% increase in mortality in non-diabetics.

The problem here is that the Hba1c range they both give is effectively constant hypo to 5%, and is presented in such a way that it causes a bit of a scare. The alternative would be simply to say less than 5%, but that is not so spectacular as giving a range.

Just my point of view...

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I'd argue that it doesn't explain it at all, and in fact that range is really less than 5% from Bernstein as well. He picks up that above 4.9%, for every 1% increase in Hba1c there is a 28% increase in mortality in non-diabetics.

The problem here is that the Hba1c range they both give is effectively constant hypo to 5%, and is presented in such a way that it causes a bit of a scare. The alternative would be simply to say less than 5%, but that is not so spectacular as giving a range.

Just my point of view...
Indeed! We are all masters of our own destiny , but in these cases,if someone who has overcome and helps others daily to beat this,we would be wise to look very closely at what is being recommended.personally i'm aiming for 4.3

Reactions: 4 people