Why....?

RedMiniSuzy

.... if I have the same breakfast every morning (glutton for routine!) does my BG vary so much by mid morning? I can either be hypo or gone up to BG 15? This is a workday routine, I can't understand it. My fasting BGs can be within the preferred range, I use the pump, but I don't understand this variation from 1 day to the next.

Anyone else have this. I find it really frustrating and I feel I keep battling away, looking after my control and this sends everything to pot. :x

I'm a new member,had diabetes for 43 years, been one a pump since May 08

jopar

When you say that this is a work day routine, do you mean that you only get this on work days?

If this is only happening on work days, I would look at your work routines and/evnviroment to see if there is any factors there that could be changing your needs...

It could be that on days that you'll going low are days that your routine is more pysical so need to reduce your basal rates to match..

On days that you are runing high might be again days were work load is lighter, so might require more basal insulin, and/or these days are more stressfull which can also increase insulin needs...

Another thought what are you before breakfast BG's like? Could there be any conection if lowish, this might make you bolus insulin more sencitive.. And if on the higher side could mean that you have some insulin residence...

Hope that you find this helpfull

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Check your level of activity and your fasting.

RedMiniSuzy

This is mainly a problem during the working week. At weekends I am cycling and walking so a different kettle of fish.

Monday to Friday - I get up, shower, have breakfast + insulin, go down the garden to let the hens out and then drive to work (45 mins) sat at a desk.

This morning at 7.15am my BG was 6.7 at 10am its up to 15. I'm not cheating and am following the rules (have done for 43 years) and now getting really frustrated.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Sue :(

jopar

Sue

Do you use a different profile to work days to weekends? (profiles = programed basal rates)

I wonder whether that your problem lay within the driving part of your mroning? As driving in peak traffic can be stressfull with out us really realising it, this would increase your BG's...

Another part concerning the driving, sounds daft I know, but where is your infusion set and pump located, as for the infusion set, this might actually be having presure of clothing, seat belt, or even the body that is restricting the flow and/or the asorbtion of your insulin, enough to effect your BG's but not enough to cause your pump to alarm a occlusion warning?

What I would do, is take a BG before heading off to work, then when I park at work, note down what sort of drive it had been, cold icey, lot of traffic, loads of bad drivers, delays rtc.then follow with 1/2 hours testing, over several days to see if any patterns build up with relation to the journey.

As it could be that your basal is out and needs tweeking to cover better, it might be that you can't set a basal rate for this period as such, but if you can work out what factors send your levels up or down, then you can use a temperory basal rate, to over come as required.

RedMiniSuzy

Hi
I'll check that out reference the drive to work.

I've also just checked my occlusion sensivity on my pump it was set to low, so I've set to high now.
I used to check my BGs before hitting the motorway in the morning I'll do it again for the next week.

Thanks for the tip.

bonerp

I have similar problems as you. Monday my BGS remained high all morning however I did put this down to poor absorption that day. The rest of the week I've been having problems with massive lows all morning. I've started back in the gym after a few weeks off so this is screwing things up at the moment.

I phoned Accu-chek and they think I need to change the cannula more frequently to stop the highs.

However yesteday was fine before lunch, went out had sarnie and a coffee, came back and was suddenly 12.8!

I have recently changed to Apidra and I'm starting to question whether its right for me as I cant get a good base. Was great for 1st 2/3 weeks! Not done basal testing for a while as had cold for 4 weeks which turned into manflu over xmas. Will have to recheck that next week. I find that so difficult though due to having to eat food with no carbs in or not eating at all.

iHs

Hi Paul

As great as Apidra is (I use it as MDI with no problems), you do need to change the set and tube more frequently as the insulin has a tendancy to cristalise in the tube. Aventis is aware of this and is trying to rectify the problem for pump users.

MarkP

I tend to have a similar problem. I rarely eat breakfast but if I do, or if i have something mid morning it usually requires at least a couple of extra units to keep my BM it its normal range.

I put it down to a lack of excess insulin after 8 hrs sleep, given that during the day its not usually more than a few hours between eating something and having a bolus, even if only a small snack.

I work in an office during the week. I sometimes have the same problem at the weekends but then i’m not usually that active in the morning.

Steveee

With the large variations you see, this suggest pump site. I started getting higher BG levels when the infusion set was on my left side as compared to my right side. :?

I am now using a new site. Since starting, I have not had a high for over a week, including driving from Colchester to Amsterdam and eating out in restaurants for 2 nights. :D

pumpinpatsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
OP, are you testing again after your shower and before you actually eat?

I know if I test before a shower it can be within the range of 4 - 7, but by the time I've disconnected, had a shower, got dressed and sat down for breakfast it can be over, because I've not been getting my basal during the shower time.