Why?

Katkeeper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 diabetic & inject insulin twice a day...but am told that I still have to take Metformin 2 x twice a day WHY?
Metformin make me so ill, regular sickness bringing up bile - acute pains in my abdomen - tingling & numb feet & toes
fatigue - constant tirdness - no energy. Is there an alternative or can I stop it all together?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What do the powers that be say? GPS and the like.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What type of insulin are you taking? Is it a mix of bolus & basal insulins like novamix? Or is it just a basal insulin only like lantus? I didn't tolerate metformin either, despite being on it for years. I think it's best you speak to your GP or your endocrinologist and ask for your treatment to be changed if it isn't working for you. If you're sick on metformin, there's no point staying on the drug and just be assertive as you can with your docs about it. There are other alternative treatments. If they already have you on insulin, then it is probably a matter of changing the insulin type you're using as each insulin has a different profile. What that means is that they all work slightly differently with when they peak, etc. It just may be you're on the wrong insulin. If you're placed on a good insulin regime, then you shouldn't need metformin as well unless you're very insulin resistant. Metformin is used to treat insulin resistance when people are on insulin. Also do they have you on insulin because of a c-peptide test result? or is it just they're trying to get your sugar levels under control faster? (The first question means you have to be on insulin because you don't produce a sufficient amount, the second question is because some docs use insulin as a way to get quick control if sugar levels are too high.) I hope you can get better treatment. Take care. :)

Last edited by a moderator: