Will my daughter be diabetic?

LynnC

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 is hereditary, i was advised For 1 child there is a 1 in 20 chance of developing diabetes, however if one child does develop diabetes odds increase for subsequent child to 1 in 10 and 1 in 5 for a third child. However on the plus side odds are you are more unlikely to develop it (ie 19 in 20 wont) My family not so lucky though, my husband is diabetic and 3 of our 4 children are also now diabetic

LynnC

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
No it absolutely is hereditary there is no question of that, but like blood group or eye colour which are also hereditary it all depends if you inherit that particular trait from your parent. So what im saying is the odds are in your favour you will not become diabetic, however you have a vastly increased chance compared to the general population.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anything below 25% cannot be entirely hereditary. 25% is the lowest possible probability of inheriting something genetically. So I will revise what I said and say Type 1 is at least 80% (25%-5% / 25%) NOT hereditary.

LynnC

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Anything below 25% cannot be entirely hereditary. 25% is the lowest possible probability of inheriting something genetically. So I will revise what I said and say Type 1 is at least 80% (25%-5% / 25%) NOT hereditary.

LynnC

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
From a medical background it is certainly hereditary, however there is no certainty of you inheriting that trait. There is also evidence of carrying the gene thus making you more susceptible to developing this hense why so many are diagnosed with no known family history.

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I worry about this! My first question when I was diasgnosed was could I have passed this onto my son. I was told no, it's not hereditary. I wasn't aware of any other type 1 on either side of my family but apparently my dad has a couple cousins with it. I will just have to keep an eye on my little boy and hope he doesn't display any symptoms.

LynnC

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I worry about this! My first question when I was diasgnosed was could I have passed this onto my son. I was told no, it's not hereditary. I wasn't aware of any other type 1 on either side of my family but apparently my dad has a couple cousins with it. I will just have to keep an eye on my little boy and hope he doesn't display any symptoms.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

Reactions: 2 people

LynnC

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
The odds are he wont become diabetic despite the increased risk, odds are in his favour, but always good to kep in mind x

LynnC

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
C
Chance increases if one child has been diagnose from same parents due to the more dominant gene. But odds remain in your favour of not developing diabetes x

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The way I look at it is he has as much chance of delveloping some other disease, or breaking some bones, or whatever else (when I say as much chance I don't mean odds wise btw, just a figure of speech!). Nothing I do right now will change whether he is going to have this or not so I won't spend his life worrying about it, I have enough to worry about with him haha. I was 31 before I got diagnosed so I'm hoping it's just one of those things that has happened to me and nothing will come of it for him. It's good for him though, having this happen has made me totally reassess my life and eating habits and although I never fed him junk before he has an even better diet these days so that's got to be good for him.

Reactions: 5 people

LynnC

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I
The way I look at it is he has as much chance of delveloping some other disease, or breaking some bones, or whatever else (when I say as much chance I don't mean odds wise btw, just a figure of speech!). Nothing I do right now will change whether he is going to have this or not so I won't spend his life worrying about it, I have enough to worry about with him haha. I was 31 before I got diagnosed so I'm hoping it's just one of those things that has happened to me and nothing will come of it for him. It's good for him though, having this happen has made me totally reassess my life and eating habits and although I never fed him junk before he has an even better diet these days so that's got to be good for him.
100% agree with you, thats exactly how i look at it. My youngest worries because her three older siblings have diabetes but i tell her to live and enjoy her life as odds are she wont and why waste her time worrying. My second child was diagnosed age 3, my third at age 12, and the oldest at age 25(just 2 years sgo). My husband was 25 also when diagnosed x

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What if no other family member has type 1? Did I win the dibetic lottery?

Last edited by a moderator:

LynnC

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
What if no other family member has type 1? Did I win the disbetic lottery?
Maybe so, as i say the gene is carrued but no certainty at all you will develop it. Just one of those things x

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Clearly the chances are going to be a lot higher if both parents have a family history of Type 1 and highest if both parents actually have Type 1.

That's where these escalating probabilities of second child, third child etc come in. The objective probability hasn't actually changed, it's just that each additional diabetic child is increasing evidence that both parents are carrying genes that predisposed to Type 1.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

That is a great way of looking at things Trixy, a great post.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

I know of a family who have 4 children ( 3 of them have type 1) and neither the mother, or the father have diabetes and it is not known in the families. :confused: Just goes to show :(

Edited to add more.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know of a family who have 4 children ( 3 of them have type 1) and neither the mother, or the father have diabetes and it is not known in the families. :confused: Just goes to show :(

Edited to add more.
Everything is possible, but here we are talking about what is more probable vs less probable, I think?