Will The Border Move From Calais To Dover?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
And if so, what are the implications and solutions?

Let's have a heated debate...:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

According to the French government, the Le Touquet Agreement remains in place. In that respect, I don't expect to see any changes as a result. And we already have to do the whole passport control thing going into and out of Calais/Folkstone/Dover.

trudy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My other half works for the border agency in coquelleand he said nothing will change. They do need more staff though as there has been a recruitment freeze. I use to work at the immigration removal centre in dover but that was closed in Oct last year and I was made redundant so just say they did move the border we are so short of spaces in the remaining centres

Sent from my SM-N910F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I predict that with the French election coming up very soon, not one of the candidates will agree with maintaining the Agreement and that this expression of the border, the only one of its kind that I am aware if anywhere in the world, will move back to Dover.

I think we should prepare quietly and in earnest!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What difference will it make?
Slightly quicker getting on in calais, slightly slower getting through dover.
Although maybe not that slower, we can use the UK citizens only lane here.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What difference will it make?
Slightly quicker getting on in calais, slightly slower getting through dover.
Although maybe not that slower, we can use the UK citizens only lane here.

Chaos I suspect, searching every vehicle, setting up logging in and processing asylum seekers, hopefully better than the disgraceful farce we see at Calais.

Certainly a much larger administrative and financial burden.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chaos I suspect, searching every vehicle, setting up logging in and processing asylum seekers, hopefully better than the disgraceful farce we see at Calais.

Certainly a much larger administrative and financial burden.

The onus has always been on the carrier to prevent carriage of passengers without documentation, travel permits, tickets etc.

If the carrier doesn't search before allowing vehicles onboard, or checking for correct documentation, checking visa, or points, or whatever system we invent, they're fined, and responsible for return costs.

Reactions: 2 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Troll :p:D

There's already been talk in France of the le Touquet Agreement being scrapped: like others, I don't expect it to survive the next Presidential elections in France.

The entry point to the UK will then become Dover and the French authorities will immediately remove any restrictions on the movement of people currently encamped in Calais and trying to get to the UK, thus - quite rightly in my opinion - dumping the problem of what to do about them onto us.

Anybody who voted for "Leave", expecting it to solve the problems of illegal entry to the UK, or to stop refugees coming here, is in for a rude awakening. However, as it's only one amongst several such awakenings, it may not command the prominence that it would have done, had it happened in isolation.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It doesn't work that way.
That just moves them into the port of calais, which is still french territory, so they can do that, not onto the ferry, and certainly not into dover.