Will there ever be a cure?

A

Anonymous

I'm a type 1 and I'm still offended by your post AlexxM. Type 2 is actually more hereditary than type 1, you can be skinny and healthy and still get D2.
They really should go under different names since they're two different diseases. Regardless of condition, we do however suffer from much the same symptoms and I think we ought to offer support instead of attacks...

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
AlexxM said:
Anyway sorry if I offended anybody I really don't want to be mean but I also can't lie about how I feel.

Yes you've offended me and I've just reported you to the admins so hopefully that will be your one and only post. (A non overweight T2) :wave:

Hazza

I am truly amazed at the ignorance of some people. It beggars belief that someone with type 1 can **** off type 2s without having the slightest knowledge or insight as to the causes of this terrible condition. I am so angry.
Enough said

SAH154

Hazza said:
I am truly amazed at the ignorance of some people. It beggars belief that someone with type 1 can **** off type 2s without having the slightest knowledge or insight as to the causes of this terrible condition. I am so angry.
Enough said

The problem is (as reported in the media regularly) is T2 is increasing dramatically and is reported as being down to weight/lifestyle - T1 is also on the increase and is often not even mentioned in the reports as I guess if the medical profession don't know why then the journalists sure don't. It's always a good excuse to show some footage of fatties wobbling about in the UK.

this is the image fed to people and while a (growing%) is down to excess weight a lot aren't I know T2s who eat chocolates/cakes a lot and have really poor control and I know T2s who don't

T1 has weight issues of it's own - the better controlled the more easy it is to gain weight and the harder it is to lose.

Personally I'd take T2 over T1 anyday and as for a cure it's hard to see how they can cure T1 unless able to regenerate cells or clone beta cells from the individual. An artificial insulin device implanted under the skin may be possible in the future. The best option I see is a pump that uses it's electronic brain to inject insulin as fit is a good way forward I was told that this is possible but the required algorithm is proving difficult to get right

There is whole organ pancreas transpalnt but as the NHS only do 200 odd per year it's a drop in the ocean as is beta cell injections

type1newbie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I no longer have diabetes since changing my diet and lifestyle, I got rid of all the processed and manufactured foods and drinks, I now have fresh fruit and vegetables and freshly made juices, I have sugar in my tea and coffee and still a enjoy a beer. I do still check my levels now and again just to make sure all is still well and it always is. I was type 1 for 1 year before I made the changes at age 51. I have needed no Insulin since end of August 2011 and do not expect this to change.
I was first diagnosed at age 50 so I was able to tackle it quite early and it is working for me.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
type1newbie are you sure you were a type 1 and not a type 2 on insulin? Everything you have said points to this.

In a type 1 your pancreas has been attacked (I'm sure a type 1 could explain this better) and you make no insulin and that is why you have to inject insulin. Whereas if a type 2 is caught early enough and they don't have too much insulin resistance and have panceratic function left, changes their diet, it is posible to come off all medication.

Grazer

))Denise(( said:
type1newbie are you sure you were a type 1 and not a type 2 on insulin? Everything you have said points to this.

In a type 1 your pancreas has been attacked (I'm sure a type 1 could explain this better) and you make no insulin and that is why you have to inject insulin. Whereas if a type 2 is caught early enough and they don't have too much insulin resistance and have panceratic function left, changes their diet, it is posible to come off all medication.

I agree 100% with denise. Don't buy the cure from type 1. Glad that you've been able to modify your diet and lifestyle to be able to come off medication, but that is different to being "cured". There are many type 2's on here who have come off meds on a controlled diet, even some who were on insulin, and you may well be one, so well done again. But type 1 for a year? Think the medical team may have got that wrong.

Pneu

type1newbie said:
I no longer have diabetes since changing my diet and lifestyle, I got rid of all the processed and manufactured foods and drinks, I now have fresh fruit and vegetables and freshly made juices, I have sugar in my tea and coffee and still a enjoy a beer. I do still check my levels now and again just to make sure all is still well and it always is. I was type 1 for 1 year before I made the changes at age 51. I have needed no Insulin since end of August 2011 and do not expect this to change.
I was first diagnosed at age 50 so I was able to tackle it quite early and it is working for me.

I am sorry but you were not type I.. In a type I the pancreas produces little useful insulin... as such most type I's who stop taking insulin are going to be in serious trouble within a couple of days with a real risk of serious DKA.

There are ways and means of extending this but basically this means a zero carbohydrate diet and regular exercise.. not fresh fruit, vegetables and sugar in ones tea... all of which contain carbohydrate which will increase blood glucose.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
type1newbie said:

Agree with everyone else. If sounds like you were misdiagnosed Type 1 but you were really Type 2 AND in the early stages of Type 2. Don't dispute you have "reversed" as some early diagnosed Type 2's can do that by changing their diet / lifestyle etc. In a real Type 1 the insulin production cells have normally been destroyed by an auto immune response and no amount of life style change will recover insulin production as those cells don't regenerate in the same way as if you cut your arm off it also doesn't regenerate.

Without wishing to be accusing and in fact wishing you a long and healthy life but I personally will not believe you were T1 unless you can show the results of the c-peptide and GAD tests you should have had done to confirm T1 as opposed to T2.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was first diagnosed at age 50 so I was able to tackle it quite early and it is working for me

Actually this fits in the pattern of many people when they develop LADA.(a subset of T1) Beta cell loss may occur in a series of fits and starts with several autoimmune attacks ultimately culminating in true insulin dependence.
Sorry don't groan I'm going to put a graph here to make things clearer. :lol:

That on/off pattern, undoubtedly happened to me. Extreme weight loss, all the symptoms, confirmed high glucose levels but my now very much lower weight meant I could for the most part control things with the diminished pancreatic function together with an appropriate diet and exercise. Then 3.5 years later, it all happened again ; bang crash sky high levels DKA, etc. (low c pep high anti GAD).

There is also another condition called depending where you read it either ketosis prone T2 or a subset of T1b, In this case the person presents with DKA, needs insulin and the condition remits. In some people this remission only lasts for a while and the cycle starts again. Some people have said that the actress Haillie Berry who was known as a T1 and claimed to have weaned herself off insulin has this condition.

As others said you could also have had T2 and are now controlling it well with diet
Whatever type you have, whichever box your diagnosis falls into, whatever caused it has not gone away and unfortunately may return.

Attachments

• development of LADA.JPG
    development of LADA.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 416

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately, the EU said that companies can't patent stem cell research. This means that companies will be unwilling to invest in the research if it can be copied by others. Add into this that right-wing Christians in the US don't agree with it. Interestingly, like others on here, I was told there would be a cure within 10 years. That was 8 years ago, so fingers crossed for the next two!

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If there ever is a cure, I think I will turn down the offer because it has given me so much, things are so much clearer when in full control and having good blood glucose readings not to forget that I have gained some weight in the time I had it, my theory is I think non-diabetics wouldn't see the light as good as I see things.

Scardoc

Back to the original question: yes, a cure will be found for T1. No question, our clever little scientist fellows are on the case and they'll crack it eventually. When? Who knows, all I know is that it's too late for me, sniff sniff. I think we'll also see technology in the future that does allow an "artificial pancreas" to react to blood sugar levels and pump insulin as required. If it comes around when I'm an old codger then I'll volunteer to trial it in case there is a Johnny Number 5 short circuit problem in the early design :)

For T2 - I don't know. There's obviously a lot more going on than with T1 and stopping insulin resistance will be the key there. If there is a genetic flaw then they will eventually isolate that and fix it.

I have great faith in our scientists and if corruption, politics, money and ethics weren't a factor then the world would be a wonderful place. However, that said, people out there are dedicating their lives work to studying the disease and looking for a cure. Let's hope they get the support they need from all parties.