Windows 8

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In December I decided to upgrade as I like to do video work and needed more umph. My W7 laptop was getting hot enough to fry an egg on it!! I wanted an HP laptop with W7 but the only one I found cost about £2500, I think because they were getting rare! I wanted Intel i7, about 32gb RAM and 2T and the only ones I found had W8:nailbiting:. I thought I'd give it a go but I couldn't get on with it. So I've had it changed to W7 professionally. It wasn't cheap but so worth it. I'm sad about XP not being supported as that's what I have on my PC and another laptop I like to use for some photography as some of my fave software won't work with W7:(. I wonder what W9 will be like?

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
In December I decided to upgrade as I like to do video work and needed more umph. My W7 laptop was getting hot enough to fry an egg on it!! I wanted an HP laptop with W7 but the only one I found cost about £2500, I think because they were getting rare! I wanted Intel i7, about 32gb RAM and 2T and the only ones I found had W8:nailbiting:. I thought I'd give it a go but I couldn't get on with it. So I've had it changed to W7 professionally. It wasn't cheap but so worth it. I'm sad about XP not being supported as that's what I have on my PC and another laptop I like to use for some photography as some of my fave software won't work with W7:(. I wonder what W9 will be like?

Hi Beshlie, older laptops/desktops are normally sold cheaper than originally priced, at least that's my experience, though perhaps the price range you quote may not be the case.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, so I'll say it quickly.....windows8andmearenowgettingonjustfinetogether.

My new OS is a Windows 64 bit and I plugged in an external hard drive containing my original 32/86bit Windows 7 OS. They operate well together, and I've discovered that when I install some apps intended for the 32/86bit OS into the new 64bit OS, they are automatically installed into the 32/86bit slave drive if they're not compatible with the 64bit, I can even have the app shortcut on the desktop of the 64bit, despite it being installed in the32/ 86bit......brilliant.

I will say though, I had to force myself to continue using and learning Windows 8. There's a lot more I need to learn, but I'm now happy with Windows 8 and thinking (only thinking) of upgrading to Windows 8.1. I could do it right now, I've a free upgrade available, but I'm just a little wary at the moment. I'll create a restore point first if, and when I decide to upgrade.

btw, XP!! have a look here......
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-reprieve-for-xp.52841/

Best wishes.

willie.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Willie, I like the Windows Essentials as I use several of those programmes with W7. I saw that I could download them for W8 - so it said - but I just didn't trust doing that. I love the spec. on my new laptop but for me W8 wasn't for me. But I'm glad you are getting along with it. I read that W8.1 is better though.

Reactions: 2 people

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
You missed one. What about the legendary pile of poo that was Windows ME.

It isn't just a good / bad pattern imho. The bad ones are where the marketing department has done the design and the good one where the techies have designed it or in recent years fixed the marketeers balls ups.

Even Windows98 was superior to ME, xyzzy.

What were they think. Tsk. :rolleyes:

Best not mention it again. :joyful:

willie.