Wonderful cafe

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We took our Grandson out to lunch today to a nice cafe in a village near his home .The menu seemed to be a disaster ,leek and potato soup and then sandwiches all with very nice fillings so I smiled nicely at the waitress and asked if I could have the local ham and cheese salad sandwich without the bread .No problem she said ( they are very polite in Ireland ) and I had a delicious salad with three thick slices of home roast ham a good portion of lovely cheese ,red onions and a relish .So the lesson is to ask !!
CAROL

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
We took our Grandson out to lunch today to a nice cafe in a village near his home .The menu seemed to be a disaster ,leek and potato soup and then sandwiches all with very nice fillings so I smiled nicely at the waitress and asked if I could have the local ham and cheese salad sandwich without the bread .No problem she said ( they are very polite in Ireland ) and I had a delicious salad with three thick slices of home roast ham a good portion of lovely cheese ,red onions and a relish .So the lesson is to ask !!
CAROL
Hi Carty totally agree,my sister and I eat out every week and we always ask for salad with mains we just ask wherever we go not had a problem yet. My hubby and I have just returned from a few days in Windermere,on arrival we found a lovey restaurant serving full English breakfast until 12 noon,absolutely no problem we are everything except the beans and hash browns.K

Reactions: dbr10

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
CAROL
Yes,asking,with a smile works each time for me!This year was my first as a low carber so I was quite apprehensive about eating out.For various reasons we have been away from home more than usual this summer so I've tested this theory in different parts of the U.K!At a lovely brasserie inAuchterarrdar in Scotland they had a bread less burger on the menu.Most places offered me an extra in place of potatoes bread etc and I ended up with side salad or extra veg.I often felt I had the better mealthan the rest of our table!I found that Subway,the filled roll shop,which I'd avoided, now does a nice salad of choice if you need food on the go.We also found quite a lot of all day breakfasts on various menus.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, and another eating out trick as a low-carber is to get them to put the salad dressing on the side, in fact I get all condiments put on the side, regardless of whether or not staff say they have added sugar or not. And then test for unnatural sweetness by tasting a bit. Sooooo many hidden sugars in food when eating out, is my experience.

Many chefs sweeten meat of all kinds with sugar, which is so weird I don't know what to say. (Cheap flavour enhancer, says Mr Svea when I wail about this.) My experience is - you can tell. It can be pretty depressing.

But yes - lots of really good lo- carbing eating out experiences too. Yay! (Just don't forget to tell them to hold the condiments - I still forget sometimes and curse myself and this world of many hidden sugars.)