Woo hoo! Going in right direction thanks to this forum

Coventina

:thumbup:
I begin my story with the clear understanding that this is my experience so am not suggesting this will be the same for everyone but just wanted to share an update on my journey with diabetes so far.
In brief:
2 years ago: Weight 14st 8+ Hba1c 7.2 Cholesterol 5.6 ish (on statins)
1 and a half years ago: Weight 13st 13 Hba1c 54 Cholesterol about 5.6 ish (on statins)
6 months ago Weight 13st 3 Hba1c 54 Cholesterol on rise but came off statins - HDL was good, as was ratio rather than just overall figure)
3 months ago Weight 12st 12 Hba1c 51 Cholesterol up to 7.4 but still higher 'good' cholesterol.
Today Weight 11st 12 Hba1c 47 Cholesterol down to 6.5 WITHOUT statins
What made the difference? My story
Cholesterol drugs - studies show negative impact on blood glucose levels
Was on statins for over 7 years for 'high overall cholesterol' of 7.1. Cholesterol did come down but then 3 years ago blood sugars beame an issue and eventually was diagnosed with Type 2.
Stopped taking statins altogether 6 months ago after reading many long-term studies (going back over 13 years) on negative effect of statins on blood glucose and insulin resistance. For women, post-menopausal, overweight, and with family history of tuype 2, there was a significant increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes when taking 40mg of Simvastatin. This was never mentioned to me when statins were peddled as wonder drug.
Hba1c -3 month glucose averages
Hba1c results: 6 months ago, Hba1c = 54
3 months ago (only change I made was to be statin free) hba1c = 51 Nurse told me this was not a significant drop and I should still take the statins for cholesterol. I declined and began to test blood glucose (finally got monitor two years after asking for and not being given monitor and strips). Found that the foods that made my glucose spike well into double figures and remain high for 1-3+ hours are:
wholemeal bread, potatoes, rye bread, oats (organic porridge), rice including brown and basmati, and wheat including wholemeal bread
Stopped eating these and increased vegetables intake, use flax in plain organic yoghourt with half a teaspoon of cinnamon instead of porridge, snack on almonds and walnuts.
NOT on metformin (despite initial push by medics to put me on it without even discussing this with me or even meeting with me), just diet controlled and blood glucose testing so I make informed choices about my health.
Thank you to all members of this who gave me information, hope and courage to question the 'one-size-fits-all' attitude.
So -I am still diabetic and still have to take care of myself everyday through informed choices. But for now, I am kicking diabetes' a*se more often than it kicks mine!