1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Work and carers allowance

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by emma_and, Jun 22, 2016.

  1. emma_and

    emma_and Type 1 · Newbie

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I was wondering what kinda help u get when u apply for dla I am going to start work soon and wondered if that stops carers and if children can get mobility I'm new to this and don't know what to expect and help be brilliant

    Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
  2. Shar67

    Shar67 · Guest

    DLA has stopped, you would have to apply for PIP, you won't get this if you are the diabetic unless you have other health issues.
    If you are applying for a child, benefit would probably be at lower rate. You need to care for a person for no less than 35 hours per week. Having a job may affect any benefits.
  3. ladybird64

    ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    You will only be entitled to Carers allowance if the person you care for receives one of the higher rates of PIP. If you are intending to work, there are some pretty complicated rules about earnings cut off points (if memory serves, its about £100 per week) and you would need to get expert advice on this.
    Going back to PIP, if it's your daughter that you are claiming for, why would she need mobility, unless she has other issues? The care component yes, but I wouldn't have thought mobility would be necessary?
  4. copepod

    copepod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Children can qualify for Higher Rate Mobility component of DLA from age 3 years and Lower Rate Mobility from age 5 years. However, it's unlike that a child with type 1 diabetes would qualify for either rate of mobility, unless they have additional health issues.
    For an adult to claim Carer's Allowance, they must provide at least 35 hours per week to a child in receipt of Middle or Higher Rate care component of DLA, or an adult who is in receipt of Standard or Enhanced Rate Daily Living component of PIP (Personal Indepence Payment). Plus to claim CA, the person must not be earning over a set amount per week.
    Your best course of action is to consult a welfare rights organistation at your local council or Citizens Advice Bureau or similar body, depending on your local situation.
  • Meet the Community

    Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

    Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

    Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

  • Like us on Facebook