Work Being a Bit Difficult

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
Hi
I started working for a well known "bottom slapping" supermarket in January, and started feeling ill not long after, so much so that I unknowlingly made a customer cry, got sent to the manager and broke down, and explained that I felt ill etc, and that I might be Diabetic, then went in and told them when the diagnosis was actually confirmed so they know I am Diabetic.
I am aparantly the only Diabetic employee out of 140 staff - Im not so sure about that.
Well anyway, I used to keep a biscuit in my pocket and a gift card, that was only spendable in the store and meant I didnt actually have any money on me so that I could pop and get something if I felt ill, but the rules have changed because people have been abusing things and we are now not allowed anything on the shop floor with us, I asked the line manager if I would be allowed to, as it would be easier for my Diabetes, and she told me "No" I wasnt allowed, so I asked if I could keep something in the admin office and she told me that they wouldnt like that, and I needed to go upstairs, my reply was I am not going to go upstairs if I am feeling ill unassisted.
Here is where I have the issue, the "canteen" is upstairs, the machines are never stocked with food, so are our lockers, where I was told to keep my food. I have a club foot which makes me unsteady anyway, and when Im feeling low and dizzy etc I do not trust myself to not fall down, I know I am Type 2 and not supposed to go Hypo, but I only ever feel like this at work because they dont have set break times and Im lucky if I get one before I go home, which I have mentioned on numerous occasions.
Today I was talking to another member of staff who told me to go and see the office and ask if I can leave something in there, so I have got myself a box and put 4 mini cans of coke, some biscuits, a pack of Club biscuits and a pack of Dextro tabs, and I will speak to the store manager, and ask his permission.
But do I have any rights about having this box "just incase" because to me it seems like they dont want to help or know.
I spoke to the personnell one day when I went in feeling really ill, as I was suffering from my Metformin, and asked if I could go home, telling her my medication was making me ill, her reply was "when will your medication be sorted?" to which I replied, "when they find the right one", the store manager was in the office, heard all of this and said nothing.
And I know I cannot be put on any medication until after my GTT, but thats not til 12th June.
Can anyone help?

Tinytoez

Dislikes
So I dont have any rights at all then??

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Hi Catherine
Very interesting link, from the looks of that I have 2 disabilities.
All the office staff are in one room, the HR lady was the one who wasnt so nice and asked me "when is my medication going to be right?" shes not nice, or very aproachable.
I am in the Union, I wanted to try and keep it "in house" first, I will go and see if I can speak to the store manager, as the other manager has the attitude of "yes when I can get around to it" for everything and she never gets around to it, if thats not sucessful I will then go to the Union.
But my feeling is, if they were to have a tighter reign on my break time I wouldnt need to have a box of supplies, Ive even been known to ask for a break because Im feeling ill, and be told, yes as soon as I can get someone to cover, the problem with that is I either start getting loud with customers if Im "high" or ratty and moody if Im "low".
Ive ordered 2 red silicone arm bands with Type 2 Diabetic on them to see if that makes a difference, and just to make customers aware, but I shoudnt need to.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
I spoke to someone in the office about leaving my box of bits in there, but she wasnt too hopeful about me being allowed to, she mentioned taking it upstairs and putting it in the canteen, so I mentioned about me not being comfortable about having to go upstairs feeling dodgy, and as of yet she hasnt got back to me, she did however mention about me taking food on the shop floor with me and I told her that I wasnt allowed to, but she advised me to get a pencil case and put some stuff in and that it was no one elses business. Well we shall see. My arm band arrived today, I havent got it to rub this diabetes in peoples faces, its more to make it harder for them to wriggle out of letting me have breaks on time etc - I hope. If they can play dirty, so can I.