Work employer

claire91

Hi there,

Just wanted some advice. I am at the early stages of my pregnancy (7 weeks). The hospital have told me that i need a glucagon injection on prescription and glucogel incase of severe hypo. In my job i am very active, and i have a care plan so keep them up to date with any additional information. I have updated my employer on the glucagon injection and the gel. Theg are now asking if they need to be trained to use this incase they needed to. My automatic response was to call an ambulance. Was wondering has anyone else been in this position? And what do you do at work regarding this ?

Reactions: Faye Godfrey

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First, congratulations on your pregnancy!

I've never been pregnant, but my experience may be relevant. When I worked in places not easily reached by ambulance (different workplaces with a different co-worker every time) I've brought my glucagon kit and asked my co-worker if they would be comfortable knowing what to do should everything go wrong.
Most were curious and happy to have it explained to them. One turned pale so I told him not to bother and simply call the alarm number if I ever went unconscious, and ask if one of the customers/guests would be willing to read the leaflet and give it a try.

To the curious ones I showed the kit and explained what to do, emphasising that you can't really do anything wrong.

For me, that was enough training for my co-workers to feel safe, and thankfully I've never needed my glucagon.
If you or your employer/co-workers feel better to have a proffesional show them what to do, please do so! A pregnancy is stressful enough by itself, so if you can get rid of this little bit of stress by having them trained, why not!