Work Problems

oldno7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At work today my department (driving forklifts) were told that we were no longer allowed to drink on the forktrucks due to "health and safety" concerns,no problem it makes sense, BUT now unlike the rest of the factory we are only allowed drinks at designated break times which would amount to only 2 drinks per day.As we work outside in inclement weather and I and a number of my colleagues are type 2 is this lack of fluids detrimental to our health, and if so is there any redress via the disability discrimination act or any other legislation. Thanks

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At work today my department (driving forklifts) were told that we were no longer allowed to drink on the forktrucks due to "health and safety" concerns,no problem it makes sense, BUT now unlike the rest of the factory we are only allowed drinks at designated break times which would amount to only 2 drinks per day.As we work outside in inclement weather and I and a number of my colleagues are type 2 is this lack of fluids detrimental to our health, and if so is there any redress via the disability discrimination act or any other legislation. Thanks

I can't see how, if your diabetes is well enough managed how you would differ from any other employee. If your T2 isn't well managed, then I can't see that as being something for your employer to address.

If you agree there are H&S reasons for their new stance, then how would you propose they deal with you guys? It's all very well feeling something might not be right, but only fair you consider how it would be right.

I'm just a little confused by how you differ from other employees per se, and what you want to happen.

In reality, it is my understanding, that the disability legislation really only becomes applicable where a T2 has significant complications or is being treated with insulin, which potentially requires them to be treat (by the employer) almost as if they were a T1.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all, but if you are a union member, then they may be able to clarify some of the details you are seeking more effectively.