1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Work Problems

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by oldno7, Mar 11, 2016.

1. oldno7

oldno7 Type 2 · Newbie

At work today my department (driving forklifts) were told that we were no longer allowed to drink on the forktrucks due to "health and safety" concerns,no problem it makes sense, BUT now unlike the rest of the factory we are only allowed drinks at designated break times which would amount to only 2 drinks per day.As we work outside in inclement weather and I and a number of my colleagues are type 2 is this lack of fluids detrimental to our health, and if so is there any redress via the disability discrimination act or any other legislation. Thanks

2. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I can't see how, if your diabetes is well enough managed how you would differ from any other employee. If your T2 isn't well managed, then I can't see that as being something for your employer to address.

If you agree there are H&S reasons for their new stance, then how would you propose they deal with you guys? It's all very well feeling something might not be right, but only fair you consider how it would be right.

I'm just a little confused by how you differ from other employees per se, and what you want to happen.

In reality, it is my understanding, that the disability legislation really only becomes applicable where a T2 has significant complications or is being treated with insulin, which potentially requires them to be treat (by the employer) almost as if they were a T1.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all, but if you are a union member, then they may be able to clarify some of the details you are seeking more effectively.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook