Working out my HbA1c with calculator

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
I started using a blood glucose monitor on the 21st June '17, since then I have taken 93 readings all at different times of the day. My monitor is not compatible with my Mac so I entered all 93 readings into a calculator and added them up then divided by 93 which gives a result of 6.57. Will this calculation be a reasonably accurate indication of my HbA1c?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of meter have you got? Most have memories and will do the averaging for you over 7 days, 14 days, 30 days and 90 days.

Your 6.57mmol/l is equal to an HbA1c of about 40 (5.8%) http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

You may be lucky, but to estimate an HbA1c this way isn't accurate, and if it happens to be close it is usually a coincidence. You can't possibly catch all the highs (and also all the lower readings) or how long you were high or lower unless you finger prick every 15 minutes 24/7. Only CGMs can do that.

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Ive got a feeling that hba1c esimates weight results by how recent they are but not sure how this works or how much it woul effect your calculation
Mysugr app is free and allows you to enter results which it theN uses to produce an hba1c estimate.- reviews seem to indicate that when done with a good number of test results, the estimates are acceptably accurate
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mysugr-app-easy-to-use-daily-diabetes-logbook/id516509211?mt=8
Thanks , I have a Nexus Gluco Rx, there is only one button, it's only compatible with Microsoft

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Ive got a feeling that hba1c esimates weight results by how recent they are but not sure how this works or how much it woul effect your calculation
Mysugr app is free and allows you to enter results which it theN uses to produce an hba1c estimate.- reviews seem to indicate that when done with a good number of test results, the estimates are acceptably accurate
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mysugr-app-easy-to-use-daily-diabetes-logbook/id516509211?mt=8
Thanks!

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
What sort of meter have you got? Most have memories and will do the averaging for you over 7 days, 14 days, 30 days and 90 days.

Your 6.57mmol/l is equal to an HbA1c of about 40 (5.8%) http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

You may be lucky, but to estimate an HbA1c this way isn't accurate, and if it happens to be close it is usually a coincidence. You can't possibly catch all the highs (and also all the lower readings) or how long you were high or lower unless you finger prick every 15 minutes 24/7. Only CGMs can do that.
Thanks , I have a Nexus Gluco Rx, there is only one button, it's only compatible with Microsoft

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So that's 93 blood sugar readings in 52 days? That's less than 2 a day. Even CGMs, that take >280 readings a day, don't give sure fire accurate hba1c predictions.

There's really not a lot of point trying to predict hba1c from one or two readings a day. Using blood sugar readings to predict hba1c, no matter how many readings you are taking, seems rather pointless to me unless the hba1c is so far off what you might be expecting that this suggests some red blood cell issue and the need for fructosamine testing.

It's probably more sensible to use you blood sugar monitor to see what food and activity is doing to you. Testing at different times of day is great and all, but is that telling you anything? Wouldnt it make more sense to test before eating and two hours after to see whether that meal was blood sugar friendly?