Working out what to eat

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
To be honest John, after a meal like that I am not at all surprised, but at least you have learnt a valuable lesson.

Just as a PS I have experimented with baked beans this lunch time. I had half a pot of the Heinz reduced sugar beans (100g in total) with a poached egg and 1 slice of toast and butter. Nothing to drink except water. I frequently have 2 poached eggs on this same toast with no significant spikes. Today I was 5.8 before I ate. At 1 hour I was 8.5 and at 2 hours I was 8.6. This is my highest lunch spike since I last had these beans back in May. I shall NOT be repeating it, which is a shame because it used to be a staple lunch for me and beans are so good for you in other ways.
A weird thing happened to me too when I had a breakfast of 1 Grapefruit, Slice of Burgen Rye w/Butter and 1/3 C Baked beans ...Before 5, 1 hour after 5.3, 2 hours after 7.5. Still new to this ... would it have spiked after 2 hours because they were all low GI Carbs or what?

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
A weird thing happened to me too when I had a breakfast of 1 Grapefruit, Slice of Burgen Rye w/Butter and 1/3 C Baked beans ...Before 5, 1 hour after 5.3, 2 hours after 7.5. Still new to this ... would it have spiked after 2 hours because they were all low GI Carbs or what?
Hello @Lesleywo I am in Brisbane, yes I expect it is the low GI.

I would not worry too much tho 7.5 is not a drama. All sorts of things affect our bodies and the meters are as rough as old bags. When I get an unusual reading I clean a new site and test again.

This will have something you have not considered so it might help.

http://www.booksie.com/health_and_fitness/article/mango_chutney/diabetese-type-2-(dt2)

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hello @Lesleywo I am in Brisbane, yes I expect it is the low GI.

I would not worry too much tho 7.5 is not a drama. All sorts of things affect our bodies and the meters are as rough as old bags. When I get an unusual reading I clean a new site and test again.

This will have something you have not considered so it might help.

http://www.booksie.com/health_and_fitness/article/mango_chutney/diabetese-type-2-(dt2)
Thanks forge, checking it out now ..... not a lot else to do on a wet Sunday!

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL you think 7.5 is bad? Me personally would say anything below 10 is fine. Especially after eating

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
LOL you think 7.5 is bad? Me personally would say anything below 10 is fine. Especially after eating
Maybe, but I don't have diabetes and I thought the BG is higher after one hour than 2??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe, but I don't have diabetes and I thought the BG is higher after one hour than 2??

Not always Lesley. It all depends on the combination of foods eaten and whether some are quick release and some are slow release, and also how much fat there was. It's not an exact science.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Not always Lesley. It all depends on the combination of foods eaten and whether some are quick release and some are slow release, and also how much fat there was. It's not an exact science.
Thanks Bluetit ... still trying to understand this stuff :)

Reactions: 2 people