Working out what to eat

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Jokes aside, @johnboy412000

We bought a slow cooker recently and it is the easiest thing to cook with and it cooks large quantities so you can make your own frozen meals

Ours cost $20 Australian the next prices were about $50 and the dearer ones cost more than $100

The $20 cooker works fine and came with 3 recipes and the net has plenty more recipes.

The modus operendi is

1) Put all the ingredients in the pot then select slow fast or automatic. (just use automatic until you get used to it).

2) After about 8 hours give or take an hour you can lift out the inner pot and serve it at the table.

Some hints
  1. If the recipe talks about browning meat do not bother it makes no difference (quote Jamie Oliver)
  2. You can take the lid off after a couple of hours and give it a stir, but you should not be opening it up often just leave it alone.
  3. If you want to save power - place a small cushion on top of the lid and wrap the cooker in a thick towel but leave the controls exposed
  4. If you do wrap the cooker in a toowel it will keep cooking for more than an hour after it is turned off.
Here is a recipe that came with our slow cooker
Chilli Con Carne
Cooking Instructions
Place all the ingredients into the slow cooker, Cover and cook on low for 8 hours (slightly more or less time will not affect the result).

Serving instructions
Spoon into individual bowls. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, chopped tomato, avocado and parsley.

Ingredients
2 lge onions chopped
1 teaspoon garlic crushed
750 grams minced beef
2 cans tomatoes chopped
1 can kidney beans
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce.

PS. you can vary the ingredients the time and method remains the same. For example; add wine or diet coke or diet orange for some great exotic tastes.

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Actually thats not a bad idea Forge id never thought of slow cookers i suppose you can cook alsorts in it like stew casserole without the hastle of standing over a few boiling pans.I can see i need to see mr google as to what else can be cooked in one.I dare say a good one would sell at a few £ in Argos.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/special-diets.aspx?o_is=TopNav_5_Diet+&+lifestyle

Now heres a good site with some very good food tips on it and they cater for diabetics.Hmmmm me thinks get us a slow cooker and we can get some pretty good offers of meat from the butchers theres at least 2 that do offers a tray of meat for say 20 quid bung it in the freezer untill needed.Some one tell me please does meat have to be defrosted before its cooked in a slow cooker ? The advantages of a slow cooker kiss goodbye to Greggs sausage rolls only reason i have them is cos it saves messing about cooking after we've been out for the day.Slow cooker = less hastle bung stuff in it and switch on before we go out.Come home to a nice warm and healthy meal what could be better lol.Sorry thinking out loud there but im getting inspired now ive had a kick start.Dont mess about johnboy jump on the bus on monday morning go to argos pick a slow cooker up go to the butchers choose a bargain tray of meat jobs a goodun lol.:D:D:D

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Johnboy - I would urge you to try some cooking from scratch. The Jamie Oliver youtube clip I posted the other day show it doesn't have to be complicated to produce a meal. Following a recipe is just like following the instructions on a ready meal. OK, there may be a few more steps, but if you cook sensibly, you can cook several meals at one time, and freeze some for later. And it's much, much cheaper than buying ready meals.

You've already mentioned (I think! Correct me if I mis-remembered) that you enjoy casseroles. If you have a slow cooker, or can acquire one; a quick google on Argos shows a family sized one for under £15, you can make a batch of casserole with a little bit of prep and then just leave it cooking all day, looking after itself. You'll be astonished. If you absolutely cannot bear to spend time chopping veg, you can buy ready prepared veg at all the major supermarkets, although you're obviously paying someone else to do the chopping.

I bet if you started a thread, with a list of things you like to eat, asking folks for either recipes or alternatives, I'm sure you would get a decent response. We all started somewhere, but you need to start starting, rather than talking about starting. The thing about doing something tomorrow is that so many tomorrows don't arrive, because tomorrow there's a brand new tomorrow just around the corner.
edients
Doing is the key here. If you do something and make a mistake (your blood spikes), at least you then know something about that food. Doing what you have always done will result in the same outcomes you have always got. Don't waste this golden, newly diagnosed, opportunity.

@johnboy412000 - I don't normally reply to myself, but I'm just bumping a post I made to you yesterday.

YouTube (www.youtube.com) and Videojug (http://www.videojug.com/tag/food-recipes) are excellent for "how do i...." videos. Just type something like "how do I cook low carb beef casserole", and see what comes up.

Videojug tends to have a box below the video window where the ingredients, and instructions, which helps whilst you find your feet, and get used to the cooking malarkey.

Whilst researching this post, I found this recipe on YouTube,
,which I'm going to do - perhaps on Sunday, with a great big salad. It's so simple, and sounds delicious. At the end she talks about the "broiler", that's just the grill, which just finishes the outside. If you had a slow cooker, would you be able to make that?

Open your mind.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
http://www.crawshawbutchers.com/promotions

Take a look at this one if you have a Crawshaws in your town.

Great offers 3 for a fiver or 5 for a tenner.Blooming eck at that rate we could have a meat dish every day of the week and be quids in and healthy too.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ AndBreathe, cheers have bookmarked those links for future reference.Always nice to have a few websites to gleen ideas from :)
With a slow cooker it would be more fun knocking up some tasty meals and low fat etc and save £'s

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Skip that Crawshaws idea just heard they have cheap meat thats of no use its poor quality etc thats why they can offer it so cheap.Stick to an independent butcher

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Yes you can put frozen meat in a slow cooker.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Moderation is the key ....I only came across this forum and started reading to find about Low carbs.....I have had diabetes for three years and lost 6 stone....through being very careful what i eat and trying to control the levels which I have to say has and is still hard work...how ever I have eaten more this last past week than ever before and that is because I have been making low carb foods from the recipes in this forum.....Thankyou

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How's it going @johnboy412000 ? What did you have for your main meal yesterday?

Im ok thanks and how are you ?
well i was late home from the hospital app so i just had some cheese butties i know i know cheese isnt good but i was tired and couldnt be bothered cooking :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im ok thanks and how are you ?
well i was late home from the hospital app so i just had some cheese butties i know i know cheese isnt good but i was tired and couldnt be bothered cooking :)

For low carb, cheese is absolutely fine, the bread is pretty carby. This is where your freezer is your friend, and also a slow cooker, where you can set something going before you go out in the morning. Most things cooked in a slow cooker improve the longer they cook.

What's on the menu for today?

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes we are working on a new diet for me the Sainsburys shopping delivery for tomorrow has some changes on it.Ive decided to scrap the pork pies in favour of cooked meat sarnies on sunday and tuesday lunches.Pasta meals well im going to try a low carb and low sugar/salt pasta.cant remember the name of it now.also fruit juice im gunna try is very low on sugar and Heinz Reduced Sugar & Salt Ketchup as i like ketchup.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a start, but maybe feels like you're tinckering around the edges. It'll be really important you test; irrespective of what your nurse says. Frankly, if you don't test, you won't know if what you are doing is making a difference, never mind making enough of a difference.

Is your wife joining you on your modified eating plan?

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nope she wont do it shes happy as she is and as stubborn as a mule.Maybe one day she will sit up and take notice of us all.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
If you're on benefits before you buy anythig ask people on f
Yes we are working on a new diet for me the Sainsburys shopping delivery for tomorrow has some changes on it.Ive decided to scrap the pork pies in favour of cooked meat sarnies on sunday and tuesday lunches.Pasta meals well im going to try a low carb and low sugar/salt pasta.cant remember the name of it now.also fruit juice im gunna try is very low on sugar and Heinz Reduced Sugar & Salt Ketchup as i like ketchup.
John ... pasta is high carb.
Sarnies are high carb.
Low sugar means theres loads of sugar.
Fruit juice will probably give you sugar spike problems.
Cheese s good healthy fat.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah i know that but its on my list of what DN gave me i gotta at least try her way and trail and error type thingy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah i know that but its on my list of what DN gave me i gotta at least try her way and trail and error type thingy

Why? Because it's what you wanted to hear? Lots of scrummy carbs? I suspect that is why!;)
I was delighted when my nurse told me to eat anything I wanted except sweet things, and even an odd cake won't hurt. As I haven't got a sweet tooth I was over the moon. I didn't get a meter until about 2 months later and had the shock of my life. I threw her booklets and literature in the bin and have never looked back.

Reactions: 6 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah i havent fully grasped it all yet i have things on my mind like the upcoming operation its clouding things if you see my point.Get that outta the way and get back on my feet and tackle the diabetes.I know it may sound like an excuse.Ill prob buy my own meter in time and see.