World Diabetes Day - raising awareness

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Evening.

I'm 55 and diagnosed t1d in May with DKA so I'm a newbie.

I work in a secondary school which always raises awareness of issues of the world including homeless, LGBT, mental health, poverty etc. I'm thinking I could share knowledge of Diabetes in some way. I know there are only 2 students on pumps and myself on jabs.

We have 'news' on TV screens around the whole building, assemblies, website, email link to all the staff and as the Librarian I manage the school newspaper.

I'd love to hear any of your ideas to share with the students and what format you may suggest.
TIA.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What an absolutely fantastic idea. Does this site have an educational resource for schools? Perhaps ask a mod if they have any ideas about this?
Sorry I am not practical help, just wanted to say that I am impressed you are doing thisx

Reactions: 4mum_

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is increasingly stuff in the news about the bad effects of excess sugar and obesity. Kids see that message day on day so maybe you could gently raise the potential risk of diabetes on the back of that? Even 'subliminally'. When I was a youngster I was the type who hated to be 'told' anything, rather relying on things I discovered for myself. If you somehow manage to get the youngsters talking about it, the massage may begin to sink in.
Having said that it's the parents who perhaps need to be targeted more than the kids - it's they who buy the stuff after all.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Could you ask the pupils to supply images of food and drink and ask them to research the amount of sugar, carbohydrate and saturated fat in each to create a library display?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Have you Resources in the library to scan and enlarge the results?

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What an absolutely fantastic idea. Does this site have an educational resource for schools? Perhaps ask a mod if they have any ideas about this?
Sorry I am not practical help, just wanted to say that I am impressed you are doing thisx
I'm having to learn as I go along and have had to learn the seriousness of it all. What got me on my return to work after a month (due to recovering from dka) was having a risk assessment done on me and it sent to many staff including the senior team. I've supported my friend with awareness of her rare cancer so I thought it's my turn now.

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There is increasingly stuff in the news about the bad effects of excess sugar and obesity. Kids see that message day on day so maybe you could gently raise the potential risk of diabetes on the back of that? Even 'subliminally'. When I was a youngster I was the type who hated to be 'told' anything, rather relying on things I discovered for myself. If you somehow manage to get the youngsters talking about it, the massage may begin to sink in.
Having said that it's the parents who perhaps need to be targeted more than the kids - it's they who buy the stuff after all.
It could be discussed in what used to be known as registration time in their groups. I could get the 2 students involved if they want to or perhaps speak to their parents. And yes discuss the type 1/2 differences as on admittance to hospital they assumed due to my age I was type 2 and treated me so, which didn't work.

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Could you ask the pupils to supply images of food and drink and ask them to research the amount of sugar, carbohydrate and saturated fat in each to create a library display?
A library display is a good idea. And I'll get it on the tv screens that are around the building.

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just to let followers know, in the end, due to time constraints, I gathered all sorts of info and memes and had them displayed all week on the constantly revolving tv screens. I also wrote about how it began with me and DKA, my day to day life and my journey, and emailed it to all the staff.