Worried about complications

Marmar00

Hi guys.
I am a type 1 for almost 2 decades and i was wandering , to what extend can we stop the progression of complications, once good control steps in?
For example, i have had some time now whith high a1c and a bit of neuropathy,but I'm starting to improve my control.Do i have to worry about future new complications from the previous bad control ,even while being in the normal a1c rangers from now on?
Than you so much for being part of this community

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
In the early years of being type 1 I didn't really look after myself that well at all but later on started to monitor my bg with the better technology available , it all started 47 years ago when I was 16 and here I am 63 years old and never had a single problem other than the odd hypo , but all i'me saying is look after yourself the best you can and you will be fine !

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My advice is to look forward rather than backwards.
You cannot change what happened in the past. You can ensure your management is as good as you can achieve going forward. That will minimise the risk of future complications regardless of your history.

Reactions: JAT1

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Excess glucose represents cumulative damage in the small blood vessels (eyes, kidneys) and bigger vessels (heart, legs) and nerves. When younger as most type 1s are at diagnosis your body handles the damage and repairs it well but as we age the repair process is less faultless so problems can show up. Ironically a precipitous drop in hba1c can also be something your vessels don' like so gradual and smoother improvements are better. My own eye issues started at age 32 approx 20 years post diagnosis and after a rollercoaster time blood sugar wise in my teens and 20s plus a pregnancy!
The only thing you can do is carry on avoiding making new damage by keeping sugars even and helping your body do the best it can by eating well (less junk more whole foods) , sleeping well and managing stress.
As type 1s I always think it is good that we know how vulnerable we are to not looking after ourselves compared to the 'normies' who can carry on with an immortality complex into their 50s and beyond whereas all the things you are doing now will help you age better.

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In the early years of being type 1 I didn't really look after myself that well at all but later on started to monitor my bg with the better technology available , it all started 47 years ago when I was 16 and here I am 63 years old and never had a single problem other than the odd hypo , but all i'me saying is look after yourself the best you can and you will be fine !
Hi- that’s very good control of no complication. I take it you are on insulin if so what insulin and how much do you take. So you have any tips for good control thanks

bmtest

You are where you are at this time and it's normal to worry a what if scenario. I am well into 5th decade and I have still not done any real damage and these days never worry. Why worry with modern techniques that are available today I have outlived many fit and healthy friends

Reactions: Marmar00 and EllieM