Worried about son

jumbleannie

Worried about son.His wife is pregnant and at our Xmas Eve party asked me to test her as she was wanting to check her BS. We had eaten about an hour before and all had chicken tikka, salad and pitta bread. Both she and I scored 5.5, but my son got a BS of 6.9. Now if I am scoring less than him and I am diabetic, should I be worried? ( I am diet only) He had drank a bit more wine than me, but as far as I could tell we ate more or less the same. Sorry to ask but I am a bit of a mother hen! :oops:
Also while I am on could someone tell me what is normal as a top BS an hour or so after eating. I keep reading that it should be 4-6 before meals and no more than 10 a couple of hours after, but what is normal inbetween? :?

Katharine

Don't worry. These are normal variations.

You can spike blood sugars quite high soon after eating certain things. Can your pancreas keep up with you? That is the important thing.

There are special tests eg hbaic, fasting blood sugars and oral glucose tolerance tests that your GP can arrange if there is any worry about diabetes.

I hope you feel reassured.