Worried I have type 2 diabetes

pahunt

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I know the real answer here is to go and see my doctor but I'm worried and I would appreciate some opinions.

The background is I'm 36 years old, not overweight and I have a desk job and get virtually no exercise. For the last 3 months I have been suffering from a number of symptoms and having done some self-diagnosis I'm coming to the conclusion that they may be caused by type 2 diabetes. The main symptom has been feeling like I need to urinate a lot, most days this is really bad but a few days here and there it has gone back to normal. Other symptoms are that I've lost just over a stone in weight over the last 3 months (just over 12st down to 11st) and I haven't changed my eating habits at all. Other things that may or may not be related, I've had a fungal skin infection on my groin which I got rid using antifungal cream and my toenails have had a fungal infection for a long time, which means they are all yellow and brittle.

Taking all of this together, does it sound like it could be the start of type 2 diabetes?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be.

But it could also be other things.

Only one way to know - get thee to a doctor! ;)

That isn't meant to be as frivolous as it sounds. But there really is only the one way to put your mind at rest.
And I don't wish to freak you out, but the longer diabetes (or whatever else it may be) goes undiagnosed, the more likely you are to develop complications.

So the sooner your doc runs some tests on you, the better.

And if you end up with diabetes... Well, you will get fantastic support, advice and information right here. :)

Reactions: 7 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are right about the real answer to your question.

Follow your own advice and go and see your doctor.

In the meantime consider asking any chemist to measure your glucose for you, but remember that this must be a fasting test. It was be conclusive but you will have an indication.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The others are right. We can't diagnose you. Your symptoms could relate to anything. Please see your doctor.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you are right that it could be diabetes but if so probably Late onset T1 (LADA) and not T2. Do see the GP for a finger prick test etc or even ask the local pharmacy for a free test.

Reactions: 2 people

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, just pop into the local pharmacy and they will be able to tell you what your BG is. I have don't this a few times if I didn't have my meter with me. Completely free of charge and they were lovely. And don't forget to tell us what they said, we are all nosy in here! :p Good luck!