worried/ lots of questions

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your informative reply. I am using the Exante diet. The shakes are 17g , bars are 21g and soups 17g of carbs. I think I've read the right bit of the nutritional info. I have one of each per day. My Dr said it is ok, as I have to lose weight too. I am waiting for my appointment to see the diabetes nurse, so don't know about how many carbs I am supposed to have or what diet either. I just read online that Exante helped some people go into remission with Type 2. What is the correct amount of carbs I should aim for? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Evie-D

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for your informative reply. I am using the Exante diet. The shakes are 17g , bars are 21g and soups 17g of carbs. I think I've read the right bit of the nutritional info. I have one of each per day. My Dr said it is ok, as I have to lose weight too. I am waiting for my appointment to see the diabetes nurse, so don't know about how many carbs I am supposed to have or what diet either. I just read online that Exante helped some people go into remission with Type 2. What is the correct amount of carbs I should aim for? Thanks in advance.
Well, the reason Exante helps some people to go into remission (note: some people) is that it is combined with a low carb diet. "Remission" is a loose term as there is no cure, just maintenance and a careful eye on your BGL - use a test meter to know what is good in your diet and what is not. Doesn't take much to "fall off the wagon" through complacency.

The Diabetic Nutrition counselling that I have had states to keep your meals to 30 carbs total if at all possible - or lower. Not an easy task if you are active (a teacher is active LOL). Changing diet routine is a challenging task. I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my mid-60s so the diet change was very challenging - and still is. The temptation is everywhere :) You will find your path.

Reactions: Guna108

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The amount of carbs to aim for varies from person to person. We all have different tolerance levels, different amounts of insulin resistance, different medications, different exercise regimes, and different bodies. A blood glucose meter will show you how many carbs your body can cope with. On this forum it varies from almost no carbs up to about 100g.

It is highly unlikely you will get one from your doctor. They are only normally prescribed for those on insulin or drugs that can cause hypos. (low blood sugar). Metformin is not one of these. The vast, vast, vast majority of us have to self fund, so I suggest you buy yourself a meter, some lancets and loads of testing strips (you will need loads). We can point you in the direction of the meters with the cheapest strips as they vary from about £8 for 50 up to as much as £30 for 50. So be careful.

If you do get a meter, and that is very advisable, we can help you to use it to your best advantage.

By the way, it isn't all about losing weight. It is about controlling your blood sugar levels. Losing weight helps a lot, but what your blood sugar levels are doing is important. On a low carb diet, you can do both.

Reactions: Brunneria and Bogie

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
The amount of carbs to aim for varies from person to person. We all have different tolerance levels, different amounts of insulin resistance, different medications, different exercise regimes, and different bodies. A blood glucose meter will show you how many carbs your body can cope with. On this forum it varies from almost no carbs up to about 100g.

It is highly unlikely you will get one from your doctor. They are only normally prescribed for those on insulin or drugs that can cause hypos. (low blood sugar). Metformin is not one of these. The vast, vast, vast majority of us have to self fund, so I suggest you buy yourself a meter, some lancets and loads of testing strips (you will need loads). We can point you in the direction of the meters with the cheapest strips as they vary from about £8 for 50 up to as much as £30 for 50. So be careful.

If you do get a meter, and that is very advisable, we can help you to use it to your best advantage.

By the way, it isn't all about losing weight. It is about controlling your blood sugar levels. Losing weight helps a lot, but what your blood sugar levels are doing is important. On a low carb diet, you can do both.

So true. I have always said that each person has their own combination - just like a combination lock. We need to experiment to find our own personal combination. Starting with a recommended target and see what works for you. It is a delicate balancing act as we do need nutrition to maintain a healthy life while stopping Diabetes from harming your organs, your vitality, your adjusted lifestyle, and, of course, your life.

Reactions: Guna108

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your clear explanation. I'll look online over the weekend at blood glucose meters.

Reactions: Prem51

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please can you give me some suggestions as to which would be a good make to buy?

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bluetit1802 How often should a newly diagnosed person test their blood glucose? Is it after each meal? If I eventually manage to go into remission would I still need to test as often/ at all? Sorry if my questions have obvious answers, I am worried about my glucose levels getting worse and my legs and feet are tingling and would like to reduce levels as soon as possible. Thank you to everyone who has answered my questions so far. I am quite scared of more complications.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 How often should a newly diagnosed person test their blood glucose? Is it after each meal? If I eventually manage to go into remission would I still need to test as often/ at all? Sorry if my questions have obvious answers, I am worried about my glucose levels getting worse and my legs and feet are tingling and would like to reduce levels as soon as possible. Thank you to everyone who has answered my questions so far. I am quite scared of more complications.

Whichever meter you buy you need to be aware that you only need one meter but you need many thousands of testing strips, so it is the cost of the strips that you have to consider, not the cost of the meter. Indeed some are given away free, but the strips could be extortionate. They vary in price from about £8 for 50 to about £30 for 50.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2+ because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2+ is here
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Initially, you need to test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Then you need to look at any rise from before to after and make sure this is no more than 2mmol/l and preferably less. Keeping a food diary will help if you record your levels alongside the food. If you go too high after a meal, there were too many carbs on your plate which will need reducing in portion size or eliminating. The food diary will help you see patterns as some carbs will affect you more than others, and we all differ in this. You will soon find your particular danger foods. If you want to see what happens to your levels at times other than the 2 hour mark, you can test at an hour, or 90 minutes. This will show you if your levels are still on the rise at 2 hours or falling. You can also test your morning fasting level - immediately on getting out of bed after washing your hands. You can also test at bedtime if you wish as that will give you an idea of how you have done during the whole day, and you can compare it to the following morning fasting level.

Don't worry about what to do when (if) you achieve remission. That won't happen overnight and by then you will be an expert in testing regimes.