Worried Mammy :(

MrsDMiles

Hello
I'm really sad to have to join here, my little boy is 3 in June and just been diagnosed. I feel heart broken and just can't stop crying, he is doing brilliantly me on the other hand is a different story, was just wondering how many of you's have had it from such a young age? And does life return to normal? Am I over reacting? Please really appreciate all or any advice x x x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are definitely not overreacting. I was diagnosed 3 weeks and my mum has still not come to turns with it. And I'm 23! It's a natural reaction, especially with a child so young! You'll never stop worrying, but it quickly came a part if my daily routine :)

You'll find lots of support on this forum for those inevitable down days!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you can buy a copy of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solutions, He's an old man and Type 1 and still thriving, it contains a lot of good advice. Chin up.

MrsDMiles

Thank you for replying. I know lots worse things can happen just so hard to sink in, I'll look that book up. I've read so much **** on the Internet, scaring myself silly. I'm having another baby on Tuesday so don't suppose my hormones are helping. I find myself looking at everyone and wondering if they've got it. Think I'm going crazy. When I've asked around I'm surprised just how common it is. Just wish so much he was older. X

MrsDMiles

Hale710
You were only 3 weeks old? Did it just become normal life? I'm worrying about everything school, jobs, driving whether he is going to blame me, just all swishing around my head. I'm just scared I'm going to do something wrong. Wish he could tell me how he is feeling x

Sarahg

I was diagnosed when I was five. Diabetes is just part of who I am know and it fits into my every day life. I can honestly say there are times when I wish I wasn't diabetic but I know that isn't going to happen. I feel that getting it so young means that now its just one of those things I've to deal with, as I don't really remember a time when I wasn't diabetic :) all the best to you and your son

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MrsDMiles said:
Hale710
You were only 3 weeks old?

Sorry, I meant 3 weeks ago! I haven't had it long but it already seems normal to test and count carbs

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I dont have much to say as was diagnosed a year ago at the age of 39 - but would just like to give you a big hug and to say that seeing you on here already doing some research into shows a very caring mummy, so you will do the best job you can, please don't get down, at least it's been diagnosed and your little one stands a good chance of having as much of a normal life as possible, there's alot of support and equipment available to help manage it - good luck x