Worried!

Boozon

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi - I am currently on the maximum dose of metformin and last Thursday the Consultant added sitagliptin to my daily diet.
I explained that my levels were frequently 13 and he said really I should go on insulin but as I'm going on holiday on Friday for two weeks there was no time. I'm now really worried that I'm going to end up in hospital while on holiday if my levels go up any further.
Just wondering a couple of things

- How long does it take for sitagliptin take to start working?
- Any suggestions on what else to do between now and Friday?

Thanks

Rob

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
No experience of sitagliptin but bumping up your message.

Perhaps @Circuspony Might know or @Daibell

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't comment on Sitagliptin because I was put on insulin really quickly once they realised I wasn't T2. Where are you going on holiday? The only other way of keeping BG levels down is to go low carb, which will help short term. They won't want to start you on insulin if you're going out of the country.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I was told by an out of hours Gp once Sitagliptin doesn't work for LADA/T1, it could even make the diabetes worse? It never worked for me, only insulin worked in the end.

Reactions: kitedoc

Boozon

Type of diabetes
LADA
Thanks @Circuspony and @enzina.

Going to Mauritius for 10 days and then South Africa. Currently doing low carb and levels are about 8.5 in the morning and about 10 after a meal with minimal carbs.

Not sure whether to ask the Dr for some gliclazide......not that I want to take that but just don't want to end up in hospital on hols.