Worrying comment

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in December (at the tender age of 46!) and have been busily coming to terms with basal/bolus insulin, carb counting and genearlly just getting on with life.

Today I went for my first eye screening and during the appointment the person doing the screening said that a Type 1 diagnosis at was 'dangerous'. I wish I had asked why at the time but was too shocked as none of the doctors or nurses I have spoken to since my diagnosis have said anything about it being any more dangerous than a diagnosis at an earlier age.

Can anyone tell me why it could be more dangerous? :?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
billybadger said:
Hi

I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in December (at the tender age of 46!) and have been busily coming to terms with basal/bolus insulin, carb counting and genearlly just getting on with life.

Today I went for my first eye screening and during the appointment the person doing the screening said that a Type 1 diagnosis at was 'dangerous'. I wish I had asked why at the time but was too shocked as none of the doctors or nurses I have spoken to since my diagnosis have said anything about it being any more dangerous than a diagnosis at an earlier age.

Can anyone tell me why it could be more dangerous? :?

Hi billybadger and welcome :wave:

Sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis :( I cant get my head around what the eye screening person said, did they mean its dangerous having type 1 or having type 1 at 46? I cant find anything on 'that' comment, its a bit strange :crazy: 46 is a more unusual age to get Type 1 diabetes though. Sorry, but can't really add anything to help you out. Take care

All the best RRB

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I somehow missed some words out of my last message :roll: . Yes, they seemed to be inferring that a type 1 diagnoses at my time of life was the dangerous bit

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 46 when they re-diagnosed me as a type 1 (formerly diagnosed as type 2 incorrectly at 45) but nobody has said anything like that to me, thank goodness! As if we don't have enough to think about :roll:

Angie

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
billybadger said:
Sorry, I somehow missed some words out of my last message :roll: . Yes, they seemed to be inferring that a type 1 diagnoses at my time of life was the dangerous bit

Well... I was diagnosed Type 1 diabetic at the age of 63... And as my GP delights in reminding me... the oldest T1 he has diagnosed!

CambridgeLass

Wow, amazing. Defies the T1 below age 40 definition! I find it fascinating, that someone can get T1 at say 14 months old or in their 60s. It does lend to the theory of there being a trigger, wish we knew more.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SB2013Pump

I was diagnosed with Type 1 at age of 53 and was delighted when the retinopathy clinic told me that I was a lot less likely to develop complications than those diagnosed at a younger age as 'I had less time to do so'. A polite way of telling me I was old.
It does depend on good control but being diagnosed later is a big advantage

sw11bloke

I would think that being diagnosed later is better than being diagnosed younger..... its a more logical approach..
No matter what age we get diagnosed.... we just have to remember that we can have a normal life without complications if we manage our diabetes correctly.
Billybadger....the best advice I can give you as a new diabetic.... dont be complacent about it. Dont allow your sugars to run high to avoid hypos. (many diabetics do because its easier that way - but thats when complications start)
Keeping a glucose diary is very important - dont ever stop. Without a diary, you dont see patterns developing and you dont get to treat or think about them. Everytime you have a high or a low, think why and look at you diary and the pattern. That way you can constantly make changes and learn to dose adjust. Dont be afraid to ask questions and do as much research about diabetes as you can. My second most valuable advice that I can give you is to go on a DAFNE course ASAP. It teaches you to take control and understand everything about diabetes.....

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the comments and advice, I certainly feel like I am in less danger now :thumbup: :thumbup: and also feel in good comapny as an older diagnosee!

The DAFNE course certainly sounds like a good tip, I am looking forward to adjusting my dosage to match my carb intake. At the moment I am struggling to find the right doasge. I started off running high and my DSN put my dosage up but as time has gone on I have had to bring it down incrementally as I keep dropping too low to drive between meals and am having to snack more than I really want to! I guess my pancreas may be trying again after initially running up the white flag and giving up :?

iHs

Hello BB :)

Which insulin regime has your DSN started you off on? Basal/bolus - frequent injections or twice daily injections using pre mixed insulin?

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
iHs said:
Hello BB :)

Which insulin regime has your DSN started you off on? Basal/bolus - frequent injections or twice daily injections using pre mixed insulin?

Hi, I am on a Basal/Bolus regime using Levemir and NovoRapid

iHs

billybadger said:
Thanks for all the comments and advice, I certainly feel like I am in less danger now :thumbup: :thumbup: and also feel in good comapny as an older diagnosee!

The DAFNE course certainly sounds like a good tip, I am looking forward to adjusting my dosage to match my carb intake. At the moment I am struggling to find the right doasge. I started off running high and my DSN put my dosage up but as time has gone on I have had to bring it down incrementally as I keep dropping too low to drive between meals and am having to snack more than I really want to! I guess my pancreas may be trying again after initially running up the white flag and giving up :?

Hi

DAFNE courses which are all about adjusting your insulin correctly with the amount of carbohydrate that you eat, can be find out yourself, by firstly writing down the amount of carb that you intend eating and then by using a ratio (like for instance 1u for 10g carb as a starter) , to determine the correct blood sugar level you should aim to be according to the current NICE blood glucose guidelines. You may already have a rough idea using plain guesswork but once youve figured out your correct ratio, you should find that your blood glucose control starts to get better. As a general rule most people need more insulin per 10g carb than at lunchtime. The ratios can be altered to suit so dont worry that you might need to use more or less than someone else eating the same amount of food at the same time.......

Look at the website BDEC (google BDEC diabetes) and then you can register and do an online carb counting course. DUK also do a carb counting guide that can be downloaded as well. Getting hold of good blood glucose monitoring diary will help and try to also write in tiny numbers above your bg levels recorded, the amount of carb that you eat and then using and adjusting your insulin to carb ratio, you will be able figure out the correct ratio for you to use at the time of day you are eating food (use the NICE recommendations for blood glucose as your guide).

Hope this helps while you wait for a DAFNE course to become available..............

sw11bloke

BillyBadger

"The DAFNE course certainly sounds like a good tip, I am looking forward to adjusting my dosage to match my carb intake. At the moment I am struggling to find the right doasge. I started off running high and my DSN put my dosage up but as time has gone on I have had to bring it down incrementally as I keep dropping too low to drive between meals and am having to snack more than I really want to! I guess my pancreas may be trying again after initially running up the white flag and giving up billybadger "

If you keep dropping, what is your carb ratio and how much basal do you take?

I was the same as you and the drs had me on too much basal. I kept having to snack to keep my levels up because they would always drop.
What is your height, weight and age? The reason why I ask this is because i have just fine tuned my basal. The DNS had me on a much higher dose so I stripped everything back and started again. I am pleased to say that I have now fine tuned my own basal according to a formula that is worked out on my weight, height and age.
I am now taking 15 units basal a day instead of 24 units. My hypos have gone and if I do drop to hypo level, it is quicker and easier to treat.
1U to 10 grams cho ratio is a good place to start on bolus rates but its hard to adjust this rate when your basal is not fine tuned. It has taken me 10 years to get the stability that I have now.