Worrying decision regarding dialysis

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From April next year, dialysis will no longer be a prescribed service on the NHS. It will instead be handed over to clinical commissioning groups. I will not pretend to understand the ins and outs of this, but it's not gone down at all well with any charities relating to kidney problems. I'm guessing this is largely a cost saving exercise for the NHS, rather than something to benefit patients. Much like restricting test strips for type 2 diabetics, and many type 1s as well.
At the moment, my kidneys work well. I control my diabetes, and hope never to need dialysis. However, I don't like the idea that if I was ever to need it, I might not be able to get it free on the NHS. Someone has started a petition for the government to review their decision. It can be found here http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/72236

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Wow that was a bit of surprise to read that :eek: and somewhat worrying.too :(

Best wishes RRB

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So it will now be determined by your GP representatives as to where you dialysis is done (nhs or private hospital) based on a number of factors including cost, rather than an automatic referral to an NHS hospital.

I'm not sure whether it's a good or bad thing, in all honesty. I suspect very little will really change.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many years ago ( about 30) my hubby's best friend, a type 1 since childhood, was on dialysis awaiting a transplant. He had a dialysis machine installed in a portacabin in his back garden, which was tons better than 3 times a week trips to the hospital. I don't know for sure, but I doubt this was a private arrangement as they had little money. Does this still happen today?