Worryingly Fast Insulin Absorption

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Odin004

For me a hot bath causes scary fast insulin absorption. After about 3rd time having a hypo in a bath.. I was able to guess and googled. I now wait at least 1 hour after meal and injection before I take a bath and its ok. I don't think this is your cause but I hope you can find a reason for it.

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i think i have had a similar thing a few times when injecting into my leg. if you inject on the inner leg just above the knee you're not very far from a major artery. if the needle gets anywhere near it, expect rapidly plummeting BG.

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's quite possible that there are a combination of factors behind a series of hypos. It doesn't have to be down to just one trigger to set off a hypo. Extra testing and careful carb counting, so that you get a good idea of the pattern of BS rising and falling over time may help to identify what is happening. Extra attention to rotating sites may improve things. In other words, if you know that you aren't actually doing anything wrong, you can only keep on doing what you're doing, but paying more attention to it. It's possible that a reason may emerge, or the hypos may decrease gradually. If they increase, I'd be on to my DSN and consultant.

We all know this situation is both worrying and frustrating to deal with. Hope things improve. You just have to be careful !
Thanks, that is good advice; I use the Dexcom G5, and always always count carbs - I try to be careful by following a low carb diet!

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Odin004

For me a hot bath causes scary fast insulin absorption. After about 3rd time having a hypo in a bath.. I was able to guess and googled. I now wait at least 1 hour after meal and injection before I take a bath and its ok. I don't think this is your cause but I hope you can find a reason for it.

Hi @michita - very glad to hear you found a solution to this, as this can be a very worrying situation - I understand that heat can cause blood vessels to increase in size, which could lead to hypos if having a hot bath. Personally, I prefer to have little or no bolus in my system when showering/bathing; but then, I am unusually concerned about hypos!

Reactions: michita