Would a low carb diet work for me?

sarah3075

Hi, I was tested for diabetes a couple of years ago and was told that I was 'borderline' and was told to watch my diet. I have to admit to being a carb addict, and am nowhere near overweight, but have major issues with weight around my tummy. I'm a bit of a skinny minny everywhere else but I cannot shift the tummy for love nor money. I look like a weeble! Typically apple shaped.

A number of members of my family have developed type 2 diabetes later on in life, and I would like to try and avoid the onset if this is something that I am at risk of. Would starting a low carb diet now a). get rid of the weight around my tum and b) reduce my own risk of developing type 2 as I get older?

Any advice would be welcome

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Sarah

Lowering your carb intake ought to help you lose the extra fat and also stave off the onset of diabetes. Good to think about it ahead of time - you may never get diabetes if you start eating to control your blood glucose now!

Have a look on the Low-carb Diet Forum bit of this site, there's plenty of info on there. The diet I use is a thread called 'Viv's Modified Atkins Diet', which as the title suggests, is based on Dr Robert Atkins' well-known weight loss diet. I wouldn't think you'd need to drop down to 25g of carb daily, which is about what the modified version contains, but it gives an idea of the type of food a low-carb diet is based around.

If you get yourself a carb counter book (the Claorie, Carb and Fat Bible is very comprehensive) you could work out how many carbs you're eating now, and see where you could reduce. You might get quite a surprise! Or the Collins Carb Counter book is pocket-sized, but not as accurate as the other.

Please ask as many questions as you like - there are many low-carbers on here, also many others who don't low-carb but still control their blood glucose very well. A Low Glycaemic Index diet may suit you better.

Viv 8)

sarah3075

Thanks Vivienne, I'll definitely give that a look just now. I know that when I went to see the GP it was because I was having major 'crashes' sometimes after eating certain foods, usually lunchtimes, and I don't even mean just feeling a little bit sleepy!! It got to the point where I could hardly stop my head from nodding and my eyes from closing. I felt utterly exhausted and my head would 'fog' so that I couldn't concentrate at all. Admittedly it hasn't happened for a little while (a few months at least) but that's probably because I wouldn't eat at all until lunchtime and then have a jacket potato or something. I'm making a big effort now to eat in the morning and that has seemed to help, although I'm not sure whether that actually has anything to do with my blood sugar levels. I have to admit to not knowing a whole deal about it so I'm going to have a good look around the site and see what I can find.

Thanks again

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sarah,

Reducing your carb intake now would help immensely but also remember that exercise will help too, hopefully the combination of the two will help with your tummy problems and prevent or delay the onset of diabetes.

Nigel

sarah3075

Hi Nigel,

I currently do exercise, but the stubborn fat around my tum will not shift for love nor money. I am 5ft 9inches and 9st 12lbs so not overweight but seem to manage to store fat in that area despite my best efforts. It was this reason that prompted me to post...basically just the fact that you so often hear about women with this kind of body shape being at risk of diabetes. And especially seeing as other members of my family have developed type 2. I am 35 now, and just want to make sure that I'm not storing up problems for myself in later life. I'm hoping that trying out a low carb diet and then reintroducing low-GI carbs into the mix might help me to lose the weight but also avoid the crashes, but I will definitely keep up with the exercise as well
Thanks again

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Eating something in the morning definitely helps to keep your BG levels stable - I eat protein, usually a 2-egg omelette, and that keep me going until lunchtime with no problems.

I can eat very little potato - a jacket potato would send my levels through the roof very quickly indeed, and high blood glucose levels can make you feel sleepy and foggy. I usually have a salad - tuna or mackerel or chicken or cheese, with mayonnaise. Mmm! It's easy to make it up in a sandwich box and take it to work.

Viv 8)