1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Would different insulin make a difference?

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by Annb, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

At present I take Lantus Solostar at night (60 units to make a real difference) and Humilin S - 30 units before meals. When I last saw my diabetic nurse she was encouraging me to drop the levels, which I did try but BS then shot up. So, back to 60/30/30/30. This does seem to have helped with the fasting level in the morning, but it's still way out during the day, even on low carb.

It was suggested to me that there may be a better insulin combination which I could suggest to my diabetic nurse. Does anyone have experience or any ideas along these lines? It's likely that I am insulin resistant but I don't really want to go back up to previous numbers (78/35/35/35).

I am also on Metformin (500 mg x 3 daily)

2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Annb, What do you mean by low carb? The range could be say, from 20 to 120 g daily.
    Also Humulin comes in 3 varieties: short. long acting and and mix.
    And there is Humalog which is a quicker -acting insulin compared to the humulin short-acting.
    So please if you could specify which humulin you are taking, that would help.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blackers183

Blackers183 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Annb
    It does sound like there is some insulin resistance, you are on high doses which is why I assume the nurse was keen for you to drop you doses. I’m on Lantus and Novorapid, Lantus is 14 units at night and 10 in the morning. At the DAFNE course they advised 24 units of Lantus was the ‘standard’ and from there adjusting to suit individual requirements. Lantus (apparently) was designed to be a single dose but they found that this did not work for a lot of people (incl me) so for these people a split dose works better.

You did not mention your readings but assume that the 60/30/30/30 keeps things under control. Also I’ve a diabetic friend who also takes Metformin but is also insulin resistant.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook