Would different insulin make a difference?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At present I take Lantus Solostar at night (60 units to make a real difference) and Humilin S - 30 units before meals. When I last saw my diabetic nurse she was encouraging me to drop the levels, which I did try but BS then shot up. So, back to 60/30/30/30. This does seem to have helped with the fasting level in the morning, but it's still way out during the day, even on low carb.

It was suggested to me that there may be a better insulin combination which I could suggest to my diabetic nurse. Does anyone have experience or any ideas along these lines? It's likely that I am insulin resistant but I don't really want to go back up to previous numbers (78/35/35/35).

I am also on Metformin (500 mg x 3 daily)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Annb, What do you mean by low carb? The range could be say, from 20 to 120 g daily.
Also Humulin comes in 3 varieties: short. long acting and and mix.
And there is Humalog which is a quicker -acting insulin compared to the humulin short-acting.
So please if you could specify which humulin you are taking, that would help.

Reactions: Dearbhla

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi Annb
It does sound like there is some insulin resistance, you are on high doses which is why I assume the nurse was keen for you to drop you doses. I’m on Lantus and Novorapid, Lantus is 14 units at night and 10 in the morning. At the DAFNE course they advised 24 units of Lantus was the ‘standard’ and from there adjusting to suit individual requirements. Lantus (apparently) was designed to be a single dose but they found that this did not work for a lot of people (incl me) so for these people a split dose works better.

You did not mention your readings but assume that the 60/30/30/30 keeps things under control. Also I’ve a diabetic friend who also takes Metformin but is also insulin resistant.

Reactions: Dearbhla