Would it be Worth having a band fitted to loose weight.

• Thread starter Deleted member 538891
  • Start Date

belfastbiker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being so big I have my own postcode.
Hi to all,
I am still using ozempic to loose weight
but it is Very Slowly Comming Off but
I am not happy to not add anything else my daughter suggested a band fitted so we R going to find out later when phone gp to see if i can have this done as its making me Really depressed i have lost about 4.8 kg but need to loose loads more like 55 more pounds.
Sparklebright62

Only 55lbs to lose? I'd not risk it myself.

I started with just over 200 lbs to lose and now about 155 to lose still. At no time has doc even discussed gastric options.

Only knew one friend who got one fitted, and she piled a lot back on. She regrets her decision.

Reactions: andromache

RobertSK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Anti-maskers and Anti-Vacc people.
Hi to all,

I am still using ozempic to loose weight
but it is Very Slowly Comming Off but
I am not happy to not add anything else my daughter suggested a band fitted so we R going to find out later when phone gp to see if i can have this done as its making me Really depressed i have lost about 4.8 kg but need to loose loads more like 55 more pounds.

Anyone else have this done.

Will let you know what they say.

Sparklebright62
Hello Sparklebright62 :)
I had lapband surgery approx. 5 years ago. Saskatchewan Health would cover the procedure, but I would have had to wait 3 years on a wait-list. I weighed 350lbs at the time and had some major health problems and I could not wait. I decided to go the private route and paid $16,000 cdn to have the surgeon do the procedure (BTW, He was also performing the procedures on the public side). It took about 8 months of adjustments to the band to hit the "zone" and I ended up losing 130lbs and am still hovering around my target of 220lbs.
Now for the bad news :( : Be aware a small number of patients experience problems (I was one of those patients). The major ones for me were:
- a complete loss of the sensations of hunger and thirst. I have to actively remember to eat and drink.
- a massive loss of muscle mass. This has lead to Myathenia Gravis like symptoms and balance issues.
- it is incredibly hard to make up the muscle loss. I've tried protein supplements and eating more protein like fish and chicken.
It's a good idea to speak with a psychologist to look at what your goals are and to discuss if you really want to proceed because the band can't be removed if you change your mind after the fact.
Just my two cents!

Bob
(it's -38.4 Celsius and -49.2 Celsius with the wind chill today)