Would You Rather Have A High Or Hypo?

ForeverDreaming

Hi! :wave: My name is Emma, I'm 10 years old, and i was diagnosed on the 9th of May 2012. The lowest my BGL has been was 1.6 and the highest 32.8! I was wondering, if you would rather be high or low? Being low alot can be very dangerous as you will stop having the feeling of when you are low, and will give you a much higher risk of being unconscious. However, when you are high it will put stress on your organs, and you can get ketones (witch we all know is very bad). I have seen a dietitian lately and she said its better for you BGL to be sitting up at a higher level, for you will start to not know when you are having a hypo. this has been happening to me lately as in a few days it will be my 1st whole year of having diabetes, and i often have alot of hypos.
Still the question is, would YOU rather be high, or low?

All the best for dealing with diabetes everyone! God bless all.
-Emma

Switch2501

Hi Emma!

Me personally, I like to sit "high".
Now I'm not talking 32.8, but high enough for me. My blood sugar tends to range from about 5 to 10 so I like to sit towards the 10.

If I test my blood and its 10 or lower I think I'm on to a winner. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm a bit scared of hypos so if I see my blood sugars sitting between 6 and 8 that's ideal for me personally. Hate hovering around the 4.5 to 5 mark which I know is perfect, but for me it's too low. Equally I hate being over 10 as it makes me feel quite ill. Running high all the time is also doing us no favours in the long term. Difficult to get perfect number all the time - my insulin pump has helped a great deal though.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a slightly different world for us T2's since we do not use insulin and can only use food, exercise and some tablets to regulate our sugar. I don't like being high since there is nothing I can do about it in the short term, it just means I ate something I shouldn't have.

Because of that I like my sugars to be low(ish) and this is a problem because food wants to make it high. It's a long battle to discover what foods do what and how much of them you can eat without getting high numbers. No matter how difficult this is I still would like to keep the day I have to take insulin at bay.

ForeverDreaming

I'm a bit scared of hypos so if I see my blood sugars sitting between 6 and 8 that's ideal for me personally. Hate hovering around the 4.5 to 5 mark which I know is perfect, but for me it's too low.

i agree. also when i'm around 15 i feel sick :sick: . but i would rather be around 6-12 also.

Isobel94

Hi Emma,

Depends on the situation. High sugars are worse for pregnant women as it can affect both mother and child and the baby can be born with defects.

It also depends on how low the low is or how high the high is. I would not want to be either 1 or 32 mmol/l :wink:

I suppose the risks of complications are greater with the highs, but lows can be truly shocking and can also leave you in an awful state. With a particularly bad one you could even have a seizure.

Think I'll just try to keep on an even keel as best as I can! But interesting question!

Isobel.