Would you say this is a Low-carb diet?

Nike69

Plus a lot of meat has sugar syrup pumped into it. Check the package of any sliced meats and cheaper brands. Especially white breast chunk meat, looks good and healthy but its not. They use Potato starch - carb Rice flour - carb corflour - carb and other things to stabilise the meat to hold more water to get the weight of the meat up. You must check where your meats come from and whats in them.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nike69 said:
Shame you feel that way, yes its hard but whats harder is realising how tough you must be. It surprises me that people do not know much about carbs as they are our nemesis. How can anyone think that eating fruit other than berries is low carb? Bread and Jam? milky stuff, all nightmares. What about eat as much zero carb as possible and just get your carbs from vegetables? Sometimes its hard to take when people give it to you straight but one day you realise that love hurts. Wheat is our sworn sworn enemy, Root veg is as well, in my opinion you should read everything available and thats when you realise that many of the things you think you cant live without just have to go. Thats how I see it. Eat as many greens as you can, lots of fresh fish, raw veg, nuts, seeds, ltd dairy, if you have to have sugar go for 5 raisins or 5 blueberries OR pump yourself full of meds and deal with the side effects now and in later life.

Sorry but I don't buy into what your saying Nike69 when you say that fruit, root veg, wheat and dairy are evil...or words to that effect :)

Faith is a type 1 who injects insulin unlike you who is diet controlled and needs to be careful on the foods you eat, a healthy diet is a balanced one and should someone choose to eat foods that you don't that is entirely up to themselves, all what matters is they control their bg levels.

Unfortunately as type 1's we do have ''pump'' ourselves with meds (insulin) as we have no other way, even if we ate zero carbs we would still need to inject insulin as our pancreas can no longer work, any reduction in carbs by someone taking control of their diabetes should be seen in a positive light and should they choose to call it low-carb..... then again that's entirely up to themselves.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nike69
( Nigel's post wasn't there when I started writing this. so I apologise for any duplication)
If you read this thread thoroughly you would realise that Faith asked whether is was a low carb diet and people told her that it was not really that low, more reduced. (I think it was worked out as 130-150 g carbs a day)
She didn't necessarily want or indeed need to reduce it lower.
As a T1 diabetic you should realise that she has absolutely no choice about taking insulin. Reading the thread you might also realise that she has discovered, as many T1s do that there is not an absolute reduction in bolus insulin needs when carbs are reduced. She has been finding a need to bolus for protein. I also need to do this.
As to the rest of your feelings about wheat, that's your opinion, just that. I don't agree.
What you consider tough love, |I consider to be unhelpful . Can you tell Faith how to use her insulin with a near zero carb diet?

I find it dogmatic and untrue to suggest 'pump yourself full of meds and deal with the side effects now and in later life.
It doesn't reflect my experience (nor many of the experiences of the 50 year medallists at Joslin) Our insulin is necessary for our lives and we are replacing what our bodies don't produce.

I count the carbs I eat,(it varies but mostly between 130 and 180g a day ) I select the food I eat mainly un or low processed foods on a daily basis but my daily diet includes grain (and I do include the odd non healthy item)
I use an insulin pump with a relatively low total daily dose. What I do works for me, I can only suggest, I can't tell Faith it would be good for her lifestyle.
By the way, 'm quite proud of I having run the odd marathon and have had HbA1cs below 6 for the last 7.5 years ( My last marathon was less than 2 years ago at age 59 . ( care to join me and my OH in our next half marathon to celebrate my 40th wedding anniversary in August .)
Edited for Typo which added 10 years to my marriage and gave a few moments hilarity to others who like to make fun of people . Sad really

Nike69

A running marathon I couldn't do at the moment but who knows in the future. So as a man of experience can you tell me why most diabetics do what doctors say and do not look for alternatives. Why do you believe that you can't make your pancreas work? Unless you do not have a pancreas of course. Science and knowledge and method moves on, why accept your lot? Why not do things differently? I just get cross when people don't know what carbs are, what sugar is and does. Maybe type 1's are different. But there is a lot going on out there. I was told I MUST take meds but have rebelled. I am normalising in a short space of time. No I can't eat fruit, or most carbs but what I can eat is healthy, hearty natural. The downside is you need will power and its not cheap BUT NHS drs and nurses only know how to dance to the big pharmas tune, they dish out the cheap meds and don't explore the alternatives. We have to do that ourselves. I am a believer in healing yourself. This world is an amazing place and we can achieve much but not if we don't educate ourselves about what we put in our mouths.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nike69 said:
I am a believer in healing yourself.

Wishful thinking with us type 1's Nike, meaning we have an autoimmune disease where our pancreas can't make insulin anymore because the beta cells in the pancreas are destroyed by our body's immune system, no amount of natural healing is going to change that I'm afraid unless you know otherwise.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Blimey - I go away for a few days and all hell has broken loose!!!

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered posting this now! Right here we go then:

@Nike69 - I realise now that you are type 2 and managing your diabetes through diet alone, well done. I'm glad that you've found a diet plan and a daily routine to manage your diabetes.
We all manage ourselves differently to others, what may work for one person may not for another. Don't get me wrong I appreciate what your saying however as phoenix and noblehead have stated you have type 2 we have type 1 and we do need some carbs.

I know I can't go on a proper low carb diet and that wasn't what I was asking as previously mentioned. I just wondered at the time and was trying to find out more about it - since then (as stated previously) I know a lot more about a low carb diets etc I have now found a way of managing my diabetes and obtaining some great bs levels, I feel great and have turned everything around because i've reduced the carbs significantly.

By the way I have coeliac disease so don't touch wheat, gluten, rye, barley and oats with a 20ft barge pole!

Sometimes its hard to take when people give it to you straight but one day you realise that love hurts

Did I mention once that I couldn't take your comments? I believe I said

Nike69 wrote:
What you have listed is not a low carb diet by any stretch of the imaginnation. Do you know what carbs are? Porridge - carb fruit - carb bread BAD BAD carb wheat - carb Jacket potato OMG - carb...... Please do some reading and learn about carbs.

No need for the sarcasm - I know exactly what carbs are! Because I'd significantly reduced my carbs from what I used to have the question was merely is this a low carb diet - since the original post I have learned a lot more about what a low carb diet entails!

I find it shocking that on this forum there are a quite a few people that like to be sarcastic and unhelpful to some people!

@Phoenix & Noblehead: Thank you both so much for your support and help in the posts I've posted since joining. You've helped me conquer a few new mysteries head on - Protein for one of them lol I'd love to do a marathon one day phoenix. I'm currently training for a half so maybe next year I can takle a full.

thanks all for your posts. :D :D Think we best leave it at that before world war 3 breaks out :shock: :lol: