Would you say this is a Low-carb diet?

sassywriter43

Ah - I am type 2 diet controlled only, so for me low carbohydrate is the way to go. I didn't realize you were on a pump Faith. I roughly equal out as 20mg carbs per day sometimes less. It depends on my mood. yesterday my carbs were 10mg throughout the day.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Thanks everyone it's been a really big help.

VickiT11979 - thanks for explaining that, I kind of understand it a little better now. I think as a few others have said I'll stick to this diet and if I can cut out another 20-50g here or there at least I know it's safe to do so. Well done though, it sounds like you've turned everything around with your diet plan. I had a moment of weakness last night and ate a whole 400g bar of chocolate. Big Oops! It's mine own fault because I let myself go to long without a treat.

I need to get onto these greek yoghurts. I tried the Onken ones as per noblehead's recommendation so that will be a big help. I'm addicted to vanilla.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Faith* said:
I could only find the vanilla one! I definitely don't recommend a spoonful of that with porridge haha It's gorgeous on it's on though. I'll look out for the blue one though. Thanks for the tips, I've a new morning snack yoghurt now haha

If your watching your carbs you need to be aware that the Onken Vanilla has 12.6g of carbs per 100g weight as opposed to the Plain Natural Set one I referred to at 3.8g, this looks like the one your using:

http://www.onken.co.uk/our-range/fat-free-vanilla/

This is the one I use and was talking about earlier:

http://www.onken.co.uk/our-range/natural-set/

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
noblehead said:
Faith* said:
I could only find the vanilla one! I definitely don't recommend a spoonful of that with porridge haha It's gorgeous on it's on though. I'll look out for the blue one though. Thanks for the tips, I've a new morning snack yoghurt now haha

If your watching your carbs you need to be aware that the Onken Vanilla has 12.6g of carbs per 100g weight as opposed to the Plain Natural Set one I referred to at 3.8g, this looks like the one your using:

http://www.onken.co.uk/our-range/fat-free-vanilla/

This is the one I use and was talking about earlier:

http://www.onken.co.uk/our-range/natural-set/

I know, nearly died when I read it but they didn't have the natural one in stock. I thought i'd just get the vanilla one to give the taste a go - plus i've discovered it's a great way to prevent me going hypo before a run.

I'm off to our local bigger Tesco tonight so hopefully they will have the bigger one so I can start using it with my porridge. :D

Had a chicken breast with some veg last night for tea, it was absolutely gorgeous! I'm finding I don't miss having the big carbohydrate portions at night anymore.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Susiebabs said:
I don't know if there's an android version too though.

Of course there is the Android o/s has the largest slice of the smartphone/tablet market. Any developer who excludes the Android platform is very short sighted indeed, being that it is the largest market place for apps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/android

iHs

][quote="Faith

Had a chicken breast with some veg last night for tea, it was absolutely gorgeous! I'm finding I don't miss having the big carbohydrate portions at night anymore.[/quote]

Hi

How did you go about bolusing for the protein in the chicken breast? Did you just leave it and bolus for the carb content in the veg and gravy?

Faith*

Dislikes
iHs said:
][quote="Faith

Had a chicken breast with some veg last night for tea, it was absolutely gorgeous! I'm finding I don't miss having the big carbohydrate portions at night anymore.

Hi

How did you go about bolusing for the protein in the chicken breast? Did you just leave it and bolus for the carb content in the veg and gravy?[/quote]

When I first started I didn't bolus for the protein, I used to wonder what was going on until I did my research so i've learnt I do need a tiny bit to cover it - generally about 2-3 units depending how big the chicken breast is.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Faith* said:
I know, nearly died when I read it but they didn't have the natural one in stock.

You'll have to tell your local Tesco to get their act together Faith :)

I love chicken too, it's moist and delicious when baked in the oven in tin foil, try adding some chopped garlic and freshly ground black pepper to season.

iHs

Can you give me the formula that you used to work out the protein to carb bolus. What weight was the chicken breast?

I do find that when I'm cooking chicken, if I nibble just a small amount of it before its dished up on the plate, my bg levels change and go up, so does look like protein in chicken can definately make bg levels change especially if hardly any carb is being eaten

Faith*

Dislikes
noblehead said:
Faith* said:
I know, nearly died when I read it but they didn't have the natural one in stock.

You'll have to tell your local Tesco to get their act together Faith :)

I love chicken too, it's moist and delicious when baked in the oven in tin foil, try adding some chopped garlic and freshly ground black pepper to season.

Oh eck, I'm absolutely starving just thinking of that :lol: I'll give it a go, I think we've got fish for tea tonight though :(

Faith*

Dislikes
iHs said:
Can you give me the formula that you used to work out the protein to carb bolus. What weight was the chicken breast?

I do find that when I'm cooking chicken, if I nibble just a small amount of it before its dished up on the plate, my bg levels change and go up, so does look like protein in chicken can definately make bg levels change especially if hardly any carb is being eaten

Admitedly there is a little trial and error going on with here with proteins, :shock: as I'm still new to the idea of reducing the carbs etc I've still not fully gaged it for meat. However, what I have worked out is that for 1 chicken breast, I definitely need at least 1 unit (1 breast is approx 100-200g weight (I get the frozen so it's like a pick and mix). If I eat this with peas/carrots/sweetcorn I need 3 units exactly. If it's mixed with an omelette I only need 2.5units. (I assume something to do with how it's absorbed with different foods). I'm on a pump so I don't know if this will affect anything. I'm still trying to work out what it is just on it's own but I keep forgetting and then having it with gravy or some sort of sauce.
You'd think by now they would have come up with an actual helpful solution to the protein problems!!

Faith*

Dislikes

iHs

Faith* said:
iHs said:

Admitedly there is a little trial and error going on with here with proteins, :shock: as I'm still new to the idea of reducing the carbs etc I've still not fully gaged it for meat. However, what I have worked out is that for 1 chicken breast, I definitely need at least 1 unit (1 breast is approx 100-200g weight (I get the frozen so it's like a pick and mix). If I eat this with peas/carrots/sweetcorn I need 3 units exactly. If it's mixed with an omelette I only need 2.5units. (I assume something to do with how it's absorbed with different foods). I'm on a pump so I don't know if this will affect anything. I'm still trying to work out what it is just on it's own but I keep forgetting and then having it with gravy or some sort of sauce.
You'd think by now they would have come up with an actual helpful solution to the protein problems!!

Have had a search online and found some sites that mention TAG (total available glucose)
This gives a good way of bolusing for protein in food http://kellywpa.com/2010/11/10/total-av ... ose-tag-2/

I would only do this if my meals were nearly all protein and slow carb from veg. Anything with a substantial amount of carb in it as well as protein and fat, I would just bolus only for the carb content.

Faith*

Dislikes
This is interesting iHs, makes some sense as well, although I don't bolus for fats as I definitely go hypo, I just run an extended bolus but it's mostly for things with bacon/gammon/egg or cheese.

I've been trying to work out something concrete with proteins but I'm not coming up with much at the moment. I think i've only managed to work it out on the old way of guess and see. I had fish last night with 25g of pasta, I did 3 units to cover the pasta and my bs was stable 2 hours after so you definitely don't need to bolus for proteins if your eating it with a carbohydrate.
Tonight we've got chicken lined up with veg so I'll let you know how it goes.

candiloo

Hi - I wouldn't say it is low carb as you have sugar in all the fruits, the jam, as well as the ones you are counting, and low carb means counting all of those too. I try to stick to 60g per day- I use low carb Danish bread, have no carbs with lunch (which is in the night)and will then be able to have my dinner at night before work and allows for a small carb shot if at work I get a low. I wouldn't have too many when I get home before going to bed, just 2 boiled eggs and 2 slices of danish -15g- that will see me through until I wake up and make sure I am not hungry when asleep.

Nike69

What you have listed is not a low carb diet by any stretch of the imaginnation. Do you know what carbs are? Porridge - carb fruit - carb bread BAD BAD carb wheat - carb Jacket potato OMG - carb...... Please do some reading and learn about carbs.

Faith*

Dislikes
Nike69 said:
What you have listed is not a low carb diet by any stretch of the imaginnation. Do you know what carbs are? Porridge - carb fruit - carb bread BAD BAD carb wheat - carb Jacket potato OMG - carb...... Please do some reading and learn about carbs.

No need for the sarcasm - I know exactly what carbs are! Because I'd significantly reduced my carbs from what I used to have the question was merely is this a low carb diet - since the original post I have learned a lot more about what a low carb diet entails!

I find it shocking that on this forum there are a quite a few people that like to be sarcastic and unhelpful to some people!

samantha13

Well done for reducing ur carbs! I'm in the same boat and any reduction is a movement in the right direction i feel! I too am learning more each day from this wonderful forum! Diabetes is hard enough without comments like that nike69 tut tut xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nike69

Shame you feel that way, yes its hard but whats harder is realising how tough you must be. It surprises me that people do not know much about carbs as they are our nemesis. How can anyone think that eating fruit other than berries is low carb? Bread and Jam? milky stuff, all nightmares. What about eat as much zero carb as possible and just get your carbs from vegetables? Sometimes its hard to take when people give it to you straight but one day you realise that love hurts. Wheat is our sworn sworn enemy, Root veg is as well, in my opinion you should read everything available and thats when you realise that many of the things you think you cant live without just have to go. Thats how I see it. Eat as many greens as you can, lots of fresh fish, raw veg, nuts, seeds, ltd dairy, if you have to have sugar go for 5 raisins or 5 blueberries OR pump yourself full of meds and deal with the side effects now and in later life.