Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm sulking.... been diagnosed about 10 years and never been sent to a dietitian yet. I'd love to have that discussion with one .... you know, the one that goes you need 130g carbs for your brain to work - as I have been on under 50g carbs for two years and some stretches (including now) that are under 20g carbs.

My DN was quite interested in LC last year but she's still telling newly diagnosed to eat low GI carbs with every meal.

My opinion is that they will never change, they'll always push the eatwell option - but I really do think it would be helpful to offer info on LC as an option, especially after all the recent news reports and articles about it.

Reactions: xtessa1x

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True dietician did say low gi but that doesn't reduce the carb load guide lines need changing

Reactions: mo53

scottw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am also an engineer but I have no idea what this calculation is based on?
I'm an Engineer also and T1D for 37 yrs. I can say unequivocally that there there are 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate or protein and 9 calories per gram of fat.
I think that those calculations are based on something called "calorimetry" whereby they burn the stuff up in an oven of sorts and measure the amount of energy it releases from ignition to ash. The process is kind of irrelevant to controlling my blood sugar so I don't much care.

scottw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Since stopping dietician appointments I've lost weight!
That tells me everything.
My gp nurse isn't diabetic and she's using slimming world. Her patients have success there. She only sees the diabetics not on insulin.
Insulin users get carb conversion. Too many carbs add weight. Keep your carbs low on insulin too. People face up to 2st gain if not.
I've been on both ends of insulin and carbs weight gain and now losing.
I'm not sure what the units are that you Brits use when talking about HGB A1C. Numbers like 54 don't mean anything to me stateside. I'm used to talking in units of %. A1C of under 6% is for the normal non-diabetic population. I'm T1D with tight control and it runs about 6.25% which translates to and average blood glucose of 130 mg/dl where 86 - 120 mg/dl is normal for non-diabetics?.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am also an engineer but I have no idea what this calculation is based on?
The heat of combustion of a carbohydrate is 4 kCal/g so 200g are producing 800 calories that are the 40% of 2000 kCal diet. If the suggested ratio of carbohydrates in a diet should be between 40 and 60% you get the rough estimate.
By the way the heat of combustion of the wood is around 4 kCal/g too (depending on wood type and humidity) Coincidence? I don't think so ;-)

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The process is kind of irrelevant to controlling my blood sugar so I don't much care.
It's a ballpark measurement - as I had just said even with wood you have different values, and the result of a wood heating system depends a lot of the furnace performance and where the furnace is.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The heat of combustion of a carbohydrate is 4 kCal/g so 200g are producing 800 calories that are the 40% of 2000 kCal diet. If the suggested ratio of carbohydrates in a diet should be between 40 and 60% you get the rough estimate.
By the way the heat of combustion of the wood is around 4 kCal/g too (depending on wood type and humidity) Coincidence? I don't think so ;-)
I understand the definition of Calories, it was the 40-60% kCal from carbohydrate that I didn't know you were assuming. I think @NoCrbs4Me might disagree with that :).

Mommaof2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw my diabetes np yesterday and she made a comment asking if I had restricted my carbs. I said no I cut back in them. She said I needed 45 carbs at meals and 15 at snacks. I smiled and said ok. She has me following up with the dietician on the 21st. I'm stateside too, but was so happy to find a group that actually supports lchf with diabetes. Her reasoning I would have low bs on a restricting carb diet.... Isn't the idea of having diabetes 2 to eat better and be on less meds or did I miss something?