Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
That was a pig, its passing now.

Im not one to mess with medical advice and ignore it. I take it and look at the best way forward, worrying and fretting is not me, I may swear at the problem but that's all it is and there is a solution right here in this forum so its just application.

So since Tuesday when I got the news my carb intake has dropped as fast as my knowledge and the fridge will allow.

Friday I started to get a headache and by mid Saturday it was horrid. Now Sunday afternoon its passing I have seen from a few other threads its some sort of side effect of dumping the carbs.

I posted wondering if there are any other nasty little surprises, my family have been great and are all happy to embrace the low carb way, with comments of keeping chocolate and banana's from my daughter and I think I would be divorced if the wife had to skip her JD. I want to be ready should they find they have headaches and such, as if they stick with me, my journey will be a breeze.

Reactions: sudsandsoda

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. :)

My husband always gets brutal coffee withdrawal headaches, and carb withdrawal cravings, but no headaches from carbs, or cravings from coffee... go figure. :D

I suggest you have a bit of a read about what is fondly called ‘low carb flu’. Which is basically a few symptoms that people sometimes get.

The good news is that most of them are mild, many people don’t get them at all, and when/if they do turn up, they can almost always be easily banished with more salt, electrolytes and a big glass of water.

Please don’t take any notice of ‘keto flu horror stories’. People sometimes like to trot them out, even though they are rare and avoidable. Lol.

This is a good guide
https://www.ruled.me/keto-flu-remedy/

Reactions: Spl@

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Thanks, that was an interesting read, from what it says there I think its more sodium that is the issue, I had no idea that your salt needs went up so much with dropping carbs.
As a family we cut our salt right down years ago when my father had a heart attack and he went through the diet police, actually a 'Dietician', I put in quotes as she was huge, easily 15 stone probably more, difficult to take someone like that seriously. But we stopped cooking with salt and just have some on the table to taste. 5-7 grams a day is far more than a few zaps with a salt shaker on a meal.

Aside from the headache I feel amazing, really and truly on top of the world so I must be a 'metabolic gymnast' :happy:

Well for now anyway,:bag:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, that was an interesting read, from what it says there I think its more sodium that is the issue, I had no idea that your salt needs went up so much with dropping carbs.
As a family we cut our salt right down years ago when my father had a heart attack and he went through the diet police, actually a 'Dietician', I put in quotes as she was huge, easily 15 stone probably more, difficult to take someone like that seriously. But we stopped cooking with salt and just have some on the table to taste. 5-7 grams a day is far more than a few zaps with a salt shaker on a meal.

Aside from the headache I feel amazing, really and truly on top of the world so I must be a 'metabolic gymnast' :happy:

Well for now anyway,:bag:

Spl@ - Do make sure you drink enough fluids. Carbs tend to hold onto water, which is dealt with through our digestive systems. Some end up a bit dehydrated at the beginning of their reduced carb way of eating. Dehydration is very unpleasant and it's symptoms can include headaches.

Reactions: lazytech