Wow

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel I must add a comment on this. A hypo is officially defined as any reading below 4 mmol. I'm not sure it makes much difference if you are on meds or not. I went down to 2.6 a few weeks back but like the poster was able to take action and have some glucose tablets. I agree if you are not on insulin or a sulfonyl urea you are highly unlikely to go into a full hypo i.e. lose all control but as we all know the 4 mmol definition is a bit arbitrary and varies from day to day for many of us and there are a few like the poster who can have a level of hypo even with no meds.

So what about those of us who regularly run on 3’s and 4’s?
Unless on a drug that lowers sugars, there’s no need to treat a hypo, your liver will do that for you. Treating a hypo will just cause all those rebound highs and lows.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again one and all, touch wood it won't happen again, but if it does will make a better attempt at staying calm and relaxed and take more logical steps to correct the levels.
I always recheck an out of my normal range glucose.Wash hands,recheck.Drummed into my head as an RN,always treat the patient,not the machine.

Remember one,a patient had a very high sugar,but his other sugars hadnt been so bad.Look at bedside table,a couple juices and a sticky spill on table.Pt says thats OK,sometimes they are high.How about you wash your hands and we recheck.It was way better.He could have received a sliding scale insulin shot he didnt need.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris66