WW or Slimming world

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Novorapid is generally 1 unit per 10g of carbs. It also takes around 15 minutes or so to take effect, so you need to take it before you eat.

Hi,

That "1to10g" thing, tends to be a rule of thumb for the non insulin resistant ID. (But not suitable for everybody.)
The timing of the shot is 20 minutes prior to eating & can take maximum effect from 1 to 2 hours later.
However the bolus timing may need a little tweak to allow its working profile to compliment the food digested. Fats can slow this down, so there could be a spike alot later..

Though, even I as an insulin user for 40 odd years wouldn't advise the OP on actual dosage. ;)

@teddybear74 , if your diabetes nurse has advised cutting down the carbs, then sites like diet doctor mentioned above give some great ideas with a carb count.
Work with your HCPs & learn your insulin to carb ratio. They may have set your dosage because of the diet they expect you to follow? So lowering carb intake further on the fixed dosage specified by the DSN for your meal may throw this out, resulting in lows..? "Hypos." Express caution in these early days whilst getting used to it..

You should test prior to injecting for a meal, 2 hours later & if need be, another 2 hours after that. To get a rough gauge on what your insulin is doing to your BGs with the diet.
Don't forget to log the time of your dose, BGs & carbs consumed... There are some great free mobile & tablet apps for that.. I use "Diabetesconnect." Which synchs data twix my iPad & Android phone via my email account.

Edited; cuz I forgot to add.. "WW or SW?" Just focus on your BGs. I'm certain the "new you," you actually want will follow..

Last edited: