X pat in Spain

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people looking down at me as if wondering why l am in a wheel chair (I am in a high risk of falling
I am in a bit of trouble but unfortunately l don't think anyone can really help. My hubby and l moved to Spain about 18 months ago.l can't speak Spanish, l am not really getting help here which is my fault. Numbers are not great, l can't walk due to arthritis so not getting exercise, my hubby is my carer . He does all shopping and cooking we have fresh meat and veg. Some times we have some foods not great but not too bad. I am very down about it and just wanted to vent

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya FolkyRose

With the language barriers you can get language cds via the Internet so you could learn at your own pace how to speak Spanish. There are sites online too (I think Babbel is one) that you could use. I dont know about cost but might be an idea to look into.

With the exercise there are also armchair exercises on Youtube or Internet that you could follow. Again take it at your own pace and according to your arthritis.

Also with the Internet there are sites you can join that put you in touch with people in the same part of the country that you can correspond via email (like old penpals). Put a search into google and see what it comes up with

I do understand how hard it is to move to another country and not know anyone. Try to keep your chin up

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about all the above.

There is a thing called a Bodyblade, which is brilliant exercise tool for people sitting. There are lots of YouTube vids to see. Good for arthritis because it is tiny little movements, not huge weight bearing ones.

Must be very isolating having the language barrier. Are there any other Xpats around you could connect up with?

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As an Ex pat myself living in Spain for the past 11 years may I take the liberty of asking where in Spain
you live....have you taken Spanish residency .......do you own where you live ....and finally what age group
are you and your husband in........the reason I am asking is I hope I may be able to help in some way having
been in similar circumstances myself.......I know its not easy but you do have to try and be positive ....it will
work out for you if you can.........let me know if you think I can help in anyway. ........

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people looking down at me as if wondering why l am in a wheel chair (I am in a high risk of falling
Thanks all for your comments. I will certainly try to learn the language. My hubby and me are 67/66. We are in Chiclana. I have got some good news we have met a very nice lady who will interpret for us

Reactions: 4 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
The best way to learn is to try and mix with the locals. My sister and husband moved to Spain over 10 yrs ago. They learnt spanish from a course, but then found that the local dialect was different. Then they moved to nearer Sevilla and found it different still. Now they are fluent spanish speakers and have mostly spanish friends. Good luck with your new life, sounds like it could be exciting - plus the bars do wonderful coffee!

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hiya FolkyRose

With the language barriers you can get language cds via the Internet so you could learn at your own pace how to speak Spanish. There are sites online too (I think Babbel is one) that you could use. I dont know about cost but might be an idea to look into.

With the exercise there are also armchair exercises on Youtube or Internet that you could follow. Again take it at your own pace and according to your arthritis.

Also with the Internet there are sites you can join that put you in touch with people in the same part of the country that you can correspond via email (like old penpals). Put a search into google and see what it comes up with

I do understand how hard it is to move to another country and not know anyone. Try to keep your chin up
Hiya FolkyRose

Thankyouwwolfie, we tried to join a class to learnspanish but unfortunately they didn't get enough to warrant a class. I like the idea of armchair exercises and will certainly look into it. We live in a place called Chiclana and it is not like the costas, so not overrun with Brits. I guess l had better get off my backside and learn some Spanish myself

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I agree about all the above.

There is a thing called a Bodyblade, which is brilliant exercise tool for people sitting. There are lots of YouTube vids to see. Good for arthritis because it is tiny little movements, not huge weight bearing ones.

Must be very isolating having the language barrier. Are there any other Xpats around you could connect up with?
Hi Bruneian we joined an expat group that look into the legalities of villa builds in Spain. The best thing is we did find out about about a lady who likes to help people when she can and will be our translater.. I will look into Bodyblade. Many thanks to you

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As an Ex pat myself living in Spain for the past 11 years may I take the liberty of asking where in Spain
you live....have you taken Spanish residency .......do you own where you live ....and finally what age group
are you and your husband in........the reason I am asking is I hope I may be able to help in some way having
been in similar circumstances myself.......I know its not easy but you do have to try and be positive ....it will
work out for you if you can.........let me know if you think I can help in anyway. ........
Hi pensionistamike. We are in Chiclana in province of Cadiz. We have a green card for medical side of things and another small green piece of paper which l presume is the Spanish residency you mention. We have a villa which we have paid a decent amount off and we have a mortgage on the rest, our bank has a guy who speaks perfect English. Which is great for financial things. We are pensioners 66/67 . I have decided to be more posative and to find out at our clinic if they have anything for diabetes and now we have found someone who will translate for us it will help. If we don't get anywhere l will get back to you. I have been reading this forum for a couple of months and this is the first time l have posted and it has made me feel that l am not alone. THANKS FORUM

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Transparent Language will send you a word a day in the language of your choice. It has other freebees. One of my children learned Spanish with their software. I get their Russian word a day which comes with a model sentence and soundfile

http://www.transparent.com/language-resources/

Tons of Youtube lessons out there. Here is one of the calming sleep learning ones for Spanish

Thanks Galja, l looked at transparent.com and have registered with them

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The best way to learn is to try and mix with the locals. My sister and husband moved to Spain over 10 yrs ago. They learnt spanish from a course, but then found that the local dialect was different. Then they moved to nearer Sevilla and found it different still. Now they are fluent spanish speakers and have mostly spanish friends. Good luck with your new life, sounds like it could be exciting - plus the bars do wonderful coffee!
Maybe after learning a bit we will try to speak with locals. (They are mostly Spanish here) a long time ago we spoke to a taxi driver who spoke English with an American accent. He came from northern Spain and learnt the English in America . He said he found it difficult to understand the way Spanish was spoken in Chiclana, a bit like cockney London.