Yaltormin?

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I have just ordered my repeat script on the patient access site and found this drug on my list, I was on Glucophage sr and am assuming they are the same. Has anyone else had this happen? there has been no consultation of this change. so what should i expect if anything regarding health changes. I do not tolerate normal metformin so am concerned.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Hpetal, According to hpra.ie and medicines.org.uk it should read: Yaltormin SR either 500 mg or 1000 mg prolonged release tablets. That is - slow release metformin, one of a number of brands.
Sometimes chemists may be allowed to replace a usual brand with a less expensive brand but I am not familiar with UK laws and in what situations such a swop can be made.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Hpetal, According to hpra.ie and medicines.org.uk it should read: Yaltormin SR either 500 mg or 1000 mg prolonged release tablets. That is - slow release metformin, one of a number of brands.
Sometimes chemists may be allowed to replace a usual brand with a less expensive brand but I am not familiar with UK laws and in what situations such a swop can be made.

Yes, in England a swap can be made to a different brand that has the same active ingredients. It seems to happen a lot according to members of this forum.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
just spoke to surgery and dr going to ring me tomorrow but she did say the practice pharmacy has been reorganising the drugs now not on the NHS Fife list! yes I am in Scotland. The thing is I am on a drug trial with the cardiology department of the hospital so dont want to change my medication as it may alter results. so i am going to tell gp this and see what he says. I have been reading comments on here about this Yaltormin and alot are saying their bg is higher which i do not want.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
update, GP gave me Glucophage sr for 2 months till drugs trial finishes then go on yaltormin, I still not sure it is as effective but will be keeping a close eye on bg numbers thats for sure

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had a letter from my GP practice saying they are swappong me from Glucophage sr to Yaltomin just like you to reduce NHS expenditure. Not picked it up yet so can't comment on how it compares.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
had a diabetic review and my nurse is brilliant she has taken the Yaltormin off my prescription and put glucophage back on. Apparently the pharmacist are just cost cutting. So always ask to not be changed, after all why change something that works well for you