Yee Haa!

nannybarbara

For the first time EVER (well, in the last 20 years at any rate) my FBG was 4.6! :mrgreen:

Admittedly, pre-breakfast, just over an hour later had risen to 7.2, but that's the next target. Anyone got any ideas of how to tackle that one?

Barb

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
What did you have for breakfast, Barbara ?

Or do you mean that was the reading before breakfast? In which case you may have 'liver dumped' before you ate.

nannybarbara

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not much of a breakfast eater so I had 100g of plain organic greek style yoghurt (Yeo Valley) which the carb counter said was 6g. I've just done my after breakfast test and it was also 7.2. I injected just 2 units for that, the dietician said that in the mornings I need to double the insulin. I think that's to cover insulin resistance which has been a real problem for me. It's been known for my BG to go from 5.6 to 11.5 in two hours in the morning without eating anything! I've recently started injecting 2 units on rising, and that seems to keep me fairly level until breakfast, which is usually about and hour to one and a half after I get up.

I was up a little later at eight this morning, and I've noticed that the later I get up, the higher the fasting level. But today - normal. I know it's only one test, but I'm really chuffed about it.

I did inject two units this morning, despite the lower BG and still went up to 7.2, so I now wonder if I should inject maybe three units to cover the rise. What do you think?

Regards,
Barb

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Sorry Barbara, I'm not an insulin user so I can't answer that ! I hope somebody will come along that can answer your question.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Barbara.

Like Sue, not an Insulin user so can't offer much advice.

However, if your pre-meal and 2 hr post meal readings are the same then that is good. You just need to get your pre-meal reading down. Possibly by adjusting the Insulin doseage or just eating earlier in the day. Waiting for an hour and a half is probably not a good idea.

What are you doing during this time ? Exercise, working etc will elevate your Bg levels most times ?

So come on you Insulin users. any suggestions ....?

nannybarbara

Hi Cugila,

Since I was made redundant in May (coincidentally when I went on insulin), I don't get as much exercise, apart from walking, as I used to. I doubt if I walk much further than a mile a day. When Sir sorts out the saddle on my exercise bike, then I'll probably do quite a lot more. I've been a bit of a slug really.

I think Sue is probably right - liver dump! I'm not sure what to do about that though except stick with low carb and hope it sorts itself out.

I'm rarely hungry during the mornings, and it's a bit of a trial eating breakfast, but I'm trying - hence the yoghurt. Oddly, today, I feel really empty 3 hours after breakfast. I'll have to bring lunch forward a bit. I've just done a BG - 6.5.

Regards,
Barb

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Barbara.

That was my first thought also, DP/Liver dump whatever you want to call it.

I know that if I test on waking then wait for an hour or two that is what happens to me as a lot of my fasting readings are very low. I soon learned to eat something a little earlier, combat the DP. Late brekkies are not a good idea when keeping tight control.

nannybarbara

Thanks for your help.

Early breakfast for me then, even if it's just a bit of yoghurt to start with and then something more substantial a little later. The traditional English breakfast sounds pretty wonderful - minus the dodgy sausage and only one slice of toast, of course.

Thanks again,
Barb

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi barbara
do you live near me?
If so I can lend a dog for walking. I have 3, the oldest of whom is blind and doesn't get walked, because i can only really cope with the other 2. However, If I go with another person, i can take the old girl.
The young ones will do 4 miles with ease.
Hana

nannybarbara

Sorry Hana, I think it would be a bit of a long walk. I'm in mid-Essex. I believe you are south of the river. I think that would be like painting the Forth Road Bridge!

I used to walk around the office a lot, and bobbing up and down to the printer etc., so it was quite amazing that I used to get in more than the 10,000 steps that we're all recommended to do. I am very pleased that I only put on 1.8kg when I went on insulin, and it gave me enormous pleasure to throw that one back in the doc's face after she told me that I would definitely put of a lot of weight. That's was when I was semi-low-carbing (anything under 150g). I'm paying more attention now and it seems to be working - I've lost 4 pounds over the last 2 weeks, and my pregnant looking belly has definitely gone down!

Incidentally, following on from this morning's posts, I had scrambled eggs on toast for lunch, and I'm so disappointed (p****d off) that my 2 hour BG went up to 9 on one slice of bread. Grrrr! :twisted: I'm beginning to think that I'll never be able to eat even small amounts of any carbs without loads of insulin, which I really, really don't want to do. Just did a BG 3 hours after and it's crept down to 8.1. I don't know what they mean by fast-acting insulin, because it doesn't seem very fast to me! I know it will be back within normal limits by dinner tonight. I suppose I could ask the DSN, but she's a marathon-running non-diabetic twiglet who follows the party line. Nice woman, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I'll get much support there. She should read this forum, she might learn something, but I won't hold my breath.

Somewhere, I saw a receipe for breakfast pancakes made with ground almonds, eggs and parmesan cheese. I can't find it at the moment, but I think that might do until I'm in the 5% club, and lost another two stone.

Still that's my moan over! I'll keep going and will have to try something else.

Thanks,
Barb