Yesterday’s Dr Visit

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had my 6 month visit with my Dr yesterday. We went over my blood work, mainly my cholesterol numbers. My HDL went down, my triglycerides almost doubled and my LDL dropped slightly. He told me any cardiologist would have me on a statin immediately. I said to him “thank god you’re not a cardiologist then” and ended that discussion.

We then turned to my fasting bg and my HbA1c. My fasting bg was 7.0 which didn’t concern him all that much as my appointment was early in the morning and my meter results show a history of the levels consistently dropping throughout the day.

When he brought up my HbA1c, he said it looked good and the Metformin seems to be working. I then reminded him that I’m not on any meds for diabetes or anything else. I told him my diabetes nurse always raves about my numbers and says it’s hard to believe I’m diabetic. The thing that really caught my attention was a single word in my Dr’s reply. You “WERE” diabetic but according to your last few blood draws, you’re just bordering pre-diabetic and the trend is very promising.

We touched a bit on my diet but I refrained from using the terms “low carb” or “keto” but just emphasized I have cut back on my portion sizes of red meat, added in more nuts and olive oil and have dropped all starchy foods and sugar. Overall the appointment seemed to go well but I definitely want to improve all my numbers. I see my diabetes nurse and dietitian next week so I’m sure I’ll be hearing about “healthy whole grains.”

Reactions: TooSweetForMe

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my 6 month visit with my Dr yesterday. We went over my blood work, mainly my cholesterol numbers. My HDL went down, my triglycerides almost doubled and my LDL dropped slightly. He told me any cardiologist would have me on a statin immediately. I said to him “thank god you’re not a cardiologist then” and ended that discussion.

We then turned to my fasting bg and my HbA1c. My fasting bg was 7.0 which didn’t concern him all that much as my appointment was early in the morning and my meter results show a history of the levels consistently dropping throughout the day.

When he brought up my HbA1c, he said it looked good and the Metformin seems to be working. I then reminded him that I’m not on any meds for diabetes or anything else. I told him my diabetes nurse always raves about my numbers and says it’s hard to believe I’m diabetic. The thing that really caught my attention was a single word in my Dr’s reply. You “WERE” diabetic but according to your last few blood draws, you’re just bordering pre-diabetic and the trend is very promising.

We touched a bit on my diet but I refrained from using the terms “low carb” or “keto” but just emphasized I have cut back on my portion sizes of red meat, added in more nuts and olive oil and have dropped all starchy foods and sugar. Overall the appointment seemed to go well but I definitely want to improve all my numbers. I see my diabetes nurse and dietitian next week so I’m sure I’ll be hearing about “healthy whole grains.”

No doubt.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Trying to Force Everyone on Statins & Where Big Pharma Can Shove Them
Has to be my favourite.

edit: I started to watch some of the videos mentioned above and found this:

Although nothing new, it's well put together, even allows the naysayers to have their word. It also shows the reluctance of organisations to change their advice, even a little. It's an Australian program, very interesting. Nothing too complicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoKalsbeek