Yet another new meter

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like many I have been forced to accept a change of meter by my HCP as they now only have a couple they are prepared to supply strips for, so yesterday I received my shiny new GlucoRX Nessus.

My first though on opening the box was "my god, it's huge", not one for carrying around in a pocket. i also notes the prescription request leaflet which stated that NHS cost for the strips is under £10 per 50, obviously the reason this meter is on the list. My GP is in favour of testing and does give me strips, but only enough to cover 25% of the tests I do, so In theory this would be good news as they would be supplying me with pots of 50 instead of 25 so I would have to pay considerably less as well as buying fewer pots than I otherwise would.

As always I did a side by side test with my preferred Freestyle meter and as I half expected based on comments by other users of this meter, its totally erratic, in fact just as bad as the iBGStar. Side by side readings against the Freestyle were:

Freestyle. Nexus. Diff
5.4. 8.8. 3.4 or 62% higher
4.9. 6.2. 1.3.or 26% higher
5.6. 7.4. 1.8 or 32% higher

I know some GP's consider self testing to be a waste of time, but seems to me that foisting cheap and erratic meters on people is an easy way of ensuring that we give up on it altogether. I will stick to the Freestyle as it continues to be consistent and in line with my HBA1c results. I can only hope that Abbott eventually drop their strip prices to be in line with HCP short term purchasing policies which are obviously overriding both clinical policies and ignoring the long term care costs associated with poor blood glucose control.

So looks like I am now in the situation where I will have to self fund 100% of my test strips in future instead of the 75% that I was funding before. :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I had a Nexus and although it was a bit of a lump, results were pretty good to be honest. Have you got any test solution ? Also, the difference may not be as much as you think as they both have tolerances of approx 15-20%. Maybe your true BG readings were somewhere inbetween ? Maybe not, just a thought.

iHs

The Abbott meters have always been reliable for me and the bg results also reflect a fairly accurate hba1c and a big plus for frequent testers is the very small blood sample 0.3 instead of 0.6

Reactions: 2 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, i have test solutions for both meters, and have checked both. I have no reason to doubt the Freestyle, I have used it for years it has always been very reliable and consistent with the various lab test results.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good grief, this evening before going to bed, several hours after eating a low carb meal, Freestyle give 5.6, Nexus gives 9.0! Ridiculous.