Yet another newly "diagnosed" - slightly baffled

scorpio58

Hi,

To give some perspective a bit about me.

59 yrs old, male, 16st 12lbs (admittedly not all of it muscle), Bp 148/80, ch 4.4, liver function - fine, kidney function - fine.

These stats came back from the routine MOT, however fasting blood tests came back with 7.1 and then 7.3 a couple of weeks later. DN and I talked about lifestyle changes and she was very good in terms of agreeing about low carbs rather than NHS advice also very calm and supportive in terms of "you are in a position where it is really early days and with some will power and commitment you can get this under control". Did the foot thing - all fine, apart from "Do you regularly cream your feet?" to which I replied "Do I look like someone who creams their feet!?".

So then did HBA1C.

That came back at 38.

DN has said, "Well, you are diabetic but there is no need to medicate. Apply the lifestyle changes (ie lose some weight, go low carb etc) and we'll review in 3 months."

So..........am I diabetic or not?

I have no problem going low(er) carb, getting back into the gym, getting into shape as this is probably a very timely shot across the bows for me as I enter my 60th year, but diabetes?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome to the forum. We usually leave the medical proffesionals to diagnosis. Although it is most common to go by HBA1C these days, 5 years ago two fasting tests over 7 would have been enough to diagnose diabetes in the UK.

I was diagnosed with impaired fasting glucose initially with a 6.3. My doctor said I was borderline otherwise known as prediabetes.

I will tag @daisy1 for her new member post which I found so useful when I joined the forum.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think 38 is considered the higher end of non Diabetic numbers (that is if that is the UK measurment).
While the number is not a Pre Diabetic one I would agree that lifestyle changes that would lower that result would be wise and certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Welcome to the forum.

scorpio58

Hello and welcome to the forum. We usually leave the medical proffesionals to diagnosis. Although it is most common to go by HBA1C these days, 5 years ago two fasting tests over 7 would have been enough to diagnose diabetes in the UK.

I was diagnosed with impaired fasting glucose initially with a 6.3. My doctor said I was borderline otherwise known as prediabetes.

I will tag @daisy1 for her new member post which I found so useful when I joined the forum.

Cheers, I read the Daisy1 welcome post on other threads and I agree it is very helpful and informative.

scorpio58

I think 38 is considered the higher end of non Diabetic numbers (that is if that is the UK measurment).
While the number is not a Pre Diabetic one I would agree that lifestyle changes that would lower that result would be wise and certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree and I am already making some changes in that area (dropped 4lbs this week) I need to lose some weight and get back in shape, "fortunately" what seems to be helpful in terms of dealing with diabetes is also helpful in terms of general weight loss.

This forum seems to be a very supportive, informative and constructive community.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree and I am already making some changes in that area (dropped 4lbs this week) I need to lose some weight and get back in shape, "fortunately" what seems to be helpful in terms of dealing with diabetes is also helpful in terms of general weight loss.

This forum seems to be a very supportive, informative and constructive community.
As you say, a warning shot across the bow. Good work in adjusting your lifestyle and already seeing a benefit.
Indeed, this site is jam packed full of knowledgeable members who are only too glad to impart their knowledge and experiences so ask as many questions as you like and read around the forum for information. Good luck.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi i think this shows why the term Pre diabetiv is difficult. I think if you are having difficulty metabolising carbs as indicated by the numbers then welcome to the diabetes club! The nurse sounds great and inplementing your version if the lifestyle advice will reverse the sugar issue with a side order of feeling better!