Yikes! I have Type 2!!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am still being told to eat carbs at meal times by the Nurse I see ....she says they are needed :cool:

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankfully my DN understands that lowering carbs actually gets results, she was encouraging me to eat eggs for breakfast and the like 15 years ago. In my annual review she'll say "do you want to see a dietician?" whilst shaking her head, I think she's obligated to offer it to me once a year, but knows I won't take it. I saw one once 23 years ago and didn't think much of her then - the black and white line drawing of a balanced plate she showed me then already had more carbs and less veggies in it than I was eating before diagnosis, so we fell out over her idea that I should increase carbs - that was nonsense to me even then.

I think my practice are more enlightened than most, I remember discussing the details of a Mediterranean diet with my doc 20 years ago - leaves, olive oil, fish etc. and not to eat veggies that grow underground. We discussed recently the inadequacy of the NICE recommendations.

When I started on insulin I got a leaflet and in there is a diagram to show how insulin works and there are three meals - breakfast is 2 weetabix in milk, lunch is a brown bread sarny and an apple and dinner is meat with new potatoes, peas and a glass of orange juice.

DaveInCali

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was looking at the sample diet they gave me and it was 55% carbs! Fruit bread and cereal for breakfast, rice and potatoes for lunch, whaaaaat???
It's like they are trying to push us over the cliff and force us on to the meds.

Here in the U.S. the FDA oversees food and drugs, "overinduldge in one so we can get you on the other!" An obvious conflict of interest really, not cool!!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I was looking at the sample diet they gave me and it was 55% carbs! Fruit bread and cereal for breakfast, rice and potatoes for lunch, whaaaaat???
It's like they are trying to push us over the cliff and force us on to the meds.

Here in the U.S. the FDA oversees food and drugs, "overinduldge in one so we can get you on the other!" An obvious conflict of interest really, not cool!!
That does seem to be the case. Unfortunately the rest of the western world follows the USDA dietary guidelines. After we go over my latest test results I like to tell my diabetes nurse what I am eating. It's pretty much the opposite of the official government dietary guidelines, but she can't really come up with much to say when I'm one of her few patients that have reversed their type 2 diabetes. At least she agrees that the guidelines have too much carbs.

Anyway, it sounds like you are starting to be enlightened with respect to the official government diet.

I think almost all of the government diet is wrong. My approach is to eat real, whole, nutrient dense food and avoid sugar, grains, rice, grain oil (and olive oil, since the government guidelines seem to push it so much), margarine (which they also push), and pretty much all factory processed food. I don't worry about saturated fat or getting enough fibre. I exercise moderately, try not to get stressed, get enough sleep, and get some sun exposure. It seems to be working for me.