Yipee !!!

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
last June my Hba1c came back 95 and I was 17.5 st . Two months ago Hba1c was 36 and I was just over 14 stone, the doctor was very pleased and said he wanted some more tests just before xmas to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
Today Hba1c 34 and now 13.5 stone.
Dr has just saidkeep it up and see you in July or even maybe this time next year.
He said put your meter in a drawer for the next week , you've earned a reprieve, but don't overdo it !!!
Can't tell you how I feel at this moment absolutly elated.
Didn't spend much time with the doctor, but he did tell me of another patient who was diebetic for years and 25 plus stone. He said the patient followed the same lchf regime that he found on the internet, mentioned diabetes.co.uk by name, and is now 15 stone ,with blood normal.
The GP just wishes he could tell all his patients to try out the diet but he knows most won't have the staying power.
I want to dedicate my good news to all you newly diagnosed , confused and lonely members, that was me last June , no one can be in a darker place than I was then. There is light at the end of tunnel, with a litte work and self belief you to can get back to "normal" levels.
I bought a libra freestyle just for the xmas period, debating whether to put it on now !!!
I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Happy

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
This is wonderful news. No wonder you are so pleased! It takes a lot of work to do what you did, but you can see the results of all your efforts and that must make continuing your new lifestyle easier. What your doctor said about not all of his patients having the staying power is very telling. Some doctors are worried about recommendng LCHF dieting not because they think it does not work, but because if the patient stops watching their carb intake, the excess fat in addition to the ill controlled carbs is a recipe for disaster. However this does not apply to you! Congratulations.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He, my GP, been very supportive of my regime, he knew no matter what he said I would carry on regardless, so he's encouraged me. He was a first anti testing saying I would be come obsessive and of course he is correct on that score, I'm going to back off a little , honest. I do understand why they don't promote teting and I don't think the cost is the major factor. I went to a diabetes group and almost walked out after 10 mins , I managed to stay the session but i never went back, 60% of the people there were moaners and looking for a magic pill, " Oh I couldn't give up bread and potatoes" one very overweight woman said when I told them my diet.
There's much more help on this forum in understanding diabetes and the road ahead we all face.
I know I'll always be a diabetic but for now Whoppeeeee roll on xmas

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh I forgot, Dr said my HDl was now 1.9 ( up from 1) and my LDL down to 3.5 from 5.5, he said obviously the statins are working ( prescribed them for me in June ) didn't have the heart to tell him I've not taken any
:)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He, my GP, been very supportive of my regime, he knew no matter what he said I would carry on regardless, so he's encouraged me. He was a first anti testing saying I would be come obsessive and of course he is correct on that score, I'm going to back off a little , honest. I do understand why they don't promote teting and I don't think the cost is the major factor. I went to a diabetes group and almost walked out after 10 mins , I managed to stay the session but i never went back, 60% of the people there were moaners and looking for a magic pill, " Oh I couldn't give up bread and potatoes" one very overweight woman said when I told them my diet.
There's much more help on this forum in understanding diabetes and the road ahead we all face.
I know I'll always be a diabetic but for now Whoppeeeee roll on xmas
Don't think I was ever obsessive with testing. Several people I know gave been told that by HCPs. I just tested more initially to find out which foods to avoid. Afterwards, we don't need to test so much.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I forgot, Dr said my HDl was now 1.9 ( up from 1) and my LDL down to 3.5 from 5.5, he said obviously the statins are working ( prescribed them for me in June ) didn't have the heart to tell him I've not taken any
:)

Even more excellent news - but I think you should have told him. He needs to know cholesterol can be improved dramatically without statins. :)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
last June my Hba1c came back 95 and I was 17.5 st . Two months ago Hba1c was 36 and I was just over 14 stone, the doctor was very pleased and said he wanted some more tests just before xmas to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
Dr has just saidkeep it up and see you in July or even maybe this time next year.
He said put your meter in a drawer for the next week , you've earned a reprieve, but don't overdo it !!!
Didn't spend much time with the doctor, but he did tell me of another patient who was diebetic for years and 25 plus stone. He said the patient followed the same lchf regime that he found on the internet, mentioned diabetes.co.uk by name, and is now 15 stone ,with blood normal.
The GP just wishes he could tell all his patients to try out the diet but he knows most won't have the staying power.
I want to dedicate my good news to all you newly diagnosed , confused and lonely members, that was me last June , no one can be in a darker place than I was then. There is light at the end of tunnel, with a litte work and self belief you to can get back to "normal" levels.
I bought a libra freestyle just for the xmas period, debating whether to put it on now !!!
Try the Libre. Let us know what you think. In particular does it read lower than a meter?

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought it, the libre, would be ideal way of keeping track over xmmas
Few weeks ago I went out with some friends and at first I was not going to go but then deceided to go and enjoy myself.
Before I went did my bg and it was 5.7 , I met them and had my first pint of beer in 4 months and it was ok!!!. Anyway I moved onto wine and between 2 of us we saw off about 3 bottles ( didn't mean to drink so much honest), I had a lovely steak and salad and finished the night off with a large G&T. I got home , well oiled ( as my dad used to say) and did my blodd 5.5, proff that red wine lowers BG. More than likely it'll be the stress relief that did that.
Anyway I'm off out on Saturday with local footie club lads and that would normally be a very messy affair (not this year I'm going to be good, not very good ,just good) plus xmas day and a party on boxing day to attend , I though using a libre would be a great way to keep an eye on things without the constant need to jab. I'll let you all know how it performs

Reactions: Bluetit1802

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't think I was ever obsessive with testing. Several people I know gave been told that by HCPs. I just tested more initially to find out which foods to avoid. Afterwards, we don't need to test so much.
I think I got obsessive at one point, I really had to try hard not to test, Now I know what causes problems I test about 2 or 3 times a day only

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and keep hold of that doctor. Happy a lovely Christmas, you've earned it.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Right , off out now to buy some clothes that fit.
One of the downsides of losing weight , you have to spend money on new clothes pah !!!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
he wanted some more tests just before xmas to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Just goes to show how rarely GPs must see this sort of turnaround! It's almost as if he needed convincing it was real.

Congratulations!

I hope you have *some* clothes you can wear while shopping for new clothes, otherwise there might be a bit of paperwork to fill in over Christmas!

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just goes to show how rarely GPs must see this sort of turnaround! It's almost as if he needed convincing it was real.

Congratulations!

I hope you have *some* clothes you can wear while shopping for new clothes, otherwise there might be a bit of paperwork to fill in over Christmas!
I've got a pair of 36 " jeans secured tightly with a belt and some xxl tops :) 32 " waist now, not been that size since I was 30

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Congratulations!!!

Mine went down from 85% to 46% in just 2.5 months, thank God!

Reactions: brianmt