Yoghurt - odd behaviour

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey
I'm always struggling to get breakfast because I'm in a rush so decided on something easy - yoghurt. My tub usually contains approx. 100g yoghurt, some flaxseed and a few blueberries. 1:1 ratio so I take the correct amount of Novorapid. I've also tried it minus any fruit and the result is always the same - hgh bs all morning! Today was a classic example:

7:30am - BS 9.0. took levemir 14u
8:50 am - yoghurt + blueberries - novorapid 1u
12:25 - BS 12.3
I was 8.3 when I took it at 8:50 and by 13:40 I was 11.4.

I know my basal is correct and I know my carb counting is correct so I don't know what's going on but it happens every time!

Any ideas?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I find eating as soon as I wake to be the best option to avoid high morning bg levels, why not up your insulin dose in the morning and see how you get on, you have to remember that insulin ratio's are not set in stone and do change from time to time.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hey
I'm always struggling to get breakfast because I'm in a rush so decided on something easy - yoghurt. My tub usually contains approx. 100g yoghurt, some flaxseed and a few blueberries. 1:1 ratio so I take the correct amount of Novorapid. I've also tried it minus any fruit and the result is always the same - hgh bs all morning! Today was a classic example:

7:30am - BS 9.0. took levemir 14u
8:50 am - yoghurt + blueberries - novorapid 1u
12:25 - BS 12.3
I was 8.3 when I took it at 8:50 and by 13:40 I was 11.4.

I know my basal is correct and I know my carb counting is correct so I don't know what's going on but it happens every time!

Any ideas?
If your blood sugar was 9 @ 7.30 then your basal is not correct.
Try skipping breakfast and see what happens. Also consider injecting your bolus at least 20 mins before you eat as your insulin need to peek at the same time as the carbs hit your system.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my bs was 13 before bed so waking at 9 was fine. I've tested this many time and Dawn phenom is not an issue and my basal is correct and my ratio is correct - I've tested these many times with different foods/carb amounts /ratios/basal/carb free/no food.

I'll try injecting a bit earlier tomorrow but to he honest my novorapid seems to do all of its work in the 5th hour when I can see a big drop so I'm slightly concerned that it'll only result in a hypo.

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same with yoghurt... My bloods could be 5.6 i would have 100ml of natural yoghurt which is appox 4g of carbs I'm on a 1:10 ratio so inject 1unit which should effectively drop me and at lunch I would be 6.1 .... I know it's not a massive jump but it stills goes against what it should be. When I eat porridge if I was at 5.6 have 20g porridge with milk which equates to 14g of carbs with 1unit of insulin my bloods at lunch would be 4.4 ... You'd expect the opposite with these foods. However I don't have an explanation why! Sorry x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
my bs was 13 before bed so waking at 9 was fine. I've tested this many time and Dawn phenom is not an issue and my basal is correct and my ratio is correct - I've tested these many times with different foods/carb amounts /ratios/basal/carb free/no food.

Alasdiar, your overnight bg levels dropped by 4 mmol so your basal dose isn't fine, had you gone to bed on 7mmol you would wake up hypo.

They say when your basal dose is correct your fasting bg levels shouldn't fluctuate much more than 1.7mmol, so I do think you need to look at your basal doses again and possibly your I:C ratio's when that's sorted.

Reactions: 2 people

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fair point @noblehead but the reading was 13 3 hrs after dinner so I still had some Novorapid hanging about so I suspect it was that which caused the drop.

Anyway - I ran with the same routine this morning but injected 20 mins earlier than eating and it worked a treat :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App