You know that moment when.....!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not had Pizza since realising the amount of carbs they contain about 2 years ago. However today in the Supermarket this pizza was calling eat me, eat me so I got one. I nearly didn't have it but then thought why not, let's experiment after all one has to take some risks in life. Hubby had chips with his but I had salad and pre my reading was 5.8, at 1 hour 6.7, at 2 hour 6.6 and after 21/2 hours I was down to 6.4 so it appears I have got away with it!!

Reactions: hankjam

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't wish to rain on your parade, but keep testing... the last time I had pizza it didn't kick in until about the 4th hour. Didn't actually spike that much, on account of it having lots of protein and fat, but it was definitely out of my comfort zone.

Having said that, I am REALLY HOPING that you DO get away with it.
- in which case, think of me, the next time you indulge. ;)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Brunneria - sorry☹️I had similar numbers to you - great I can eat pizza! 4th hour 11.8 - didn't go below 8 for about 3hrs after and had higher numbers for days - haven't eaten pizza for 7 years - I do pull the topping off the odd slice though - though this drives my son completely mad lol - they say the fathead lowcarb pizza is very good though I haven't made it myself

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, I have a simalar testimonial to the above on pizza. I'm on insulin & It don't matter how carful I bolus, it still messes with my mojo long after I've forgotten the taste...
I don't do chips either.

Fair play though.!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria, @Jaylee and @lovinglife I had a FBS of 4.9 at 5.30 this morning (10 hours after pizza) so hoping it's another one for my ' eat in moderation' list! Also had 2 squares of 70% Lindt chocolate just before bed last night!!

Reactions: lovinglife

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Brunneria, @Jaylee and @lovinglife I had a FBS of 4.9 at 5.30 this morning (10 hours after pizza) so hoping it's another one for my ' eat in moderation' list! Also had 2 squares of 70% Lindt chocolate just before bed last night!!

Then it sounds like your on a roll with this one.. :cool:

Just out of curiosity.. Did you drink any alcahol last night too..?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then it sounds like your on a roll with this one.. :cool:

Just out of curiosity.. Did you drink any alcahol last night too..?
No rarely drink alcohol with anything. Got drunk on rum and orange when I was 10 yrs old and it put me off alcohol! Bit like smoking - I failed at that too my first fag was my last as I nearly choked on it!!

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No rarely drink alcohol with anything. Got drunk on rum and orange when I was 10 yrs old and it put me off alcohol! Bit like smoking - I failed at that too my first fag was my last as I nearly choked on it!!
Lol, sounds like you may have found your "vice" then..? The odd cheeky pizza!

MissMac

i made the fat head pizza....probably my cooking to be fair but WAY too much cheese! I am more inlined to try a cauli base. But wow to your numbers post dinner...I'd be over the moon with that! Can I rudely ask if you are on any meds or doing this with diet alone? x

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope your numbers stay down. Personally have a carb hangover, would take me a few days to return to normal levels. I'd be in the 7s more than I'd like.

However, I have learnt just to eat the topping and leave the base. Takes willpower (lots of it!) but means we can still go out to our fav pizza restaurant

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i made the fat head pizza....probably my cooking to be fair but WAY too much cheese! I am more inlined to try a cauli base. But wow to your numbers post dinner...I'd be over the moon with that! Can I rudely ask if you are on any meds or doing this with diet alone? x
Hi no meds - just diet. The only time I had meds was when I started taking statins and my BS rose from 48 to 54 within 2 months so was prescribed Sitagliptin. Came off it 4 months later when I came off the statins due to other side effects and my hba1c came down to 41 and is now 38

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope your numbers stay down. Personally have a carb hangover, would take me a few days to return to normal levels. I'd be in the 7s more than I'd like.

However, I have learnt just to eat the topping and leave the base. Takes willpower (lots of it!) but means we can still go out to our fav pizza restaurant
It was a thin based one and I cut off as much as the base as possible. I took the gamble because it was 34 carbs for a half and, with the salad, wouldn't be too carb heavy for my main meal (I seem to be able to tolerate more carbs than many on the forum).