Young diabetics 15-20

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys I was diagnosed at 15. I was happy to be diagnosed due my situation I've written about In The thread stories so I won't repeat and bore. Progressing from there is hard though in teens. I found exams my blood sugar rocked because I was nervous so was hard to write in, my memory had been affected, it's a rare thing but I struggled with things. Getting drunk was challenging because bouncers often stopped and questioned my needles when searched but generally got away with it. I have to say the best people were my friends for support. They really got into it testing they knew the signs and really helped me feel like any other teenager. I found and still struggle with sports. I found alcohol a challenge and boyfriends were interesting. Most were intrigued and if they did t get it was more than taking insulin or coke they were t worth it. I struggled to keep weight on as a teen and missed certain. Food because at the time I'd been put on a stricken diet. I found things like Xmas and Easter when certain foods are norm like chocolate very hard. I'd say my folks were probably the hardest especially my mum as they didn't take it well. Eventually I made a bullet point sign that lived on the fridge to tell them what it was like hypo hyper what was needed and what I needed I. That moment. Sorry a lot of ranting on there. Your not alone but it can feel like that. Is there anything in your local area set up to meet other diabetics?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I meant to add I am 29 now and yep defo up and down with it. There are days I wish I didn't have it. In general though it's a part of me and contributes to making me me and keeps me a live to live more yay

DannyBygrave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I can relate to most things you're talking about there It's not too bad it's just the knowing that it is there everyday haha! And yes there are meetings but nobody attends who are below 60 odd haha! I would say it has been the making of me too, definatley wouldn't be the person I am today if I wasn't diagnosed

Reactions: 2 people